Existing Member?

The Tales of a Pisspot and a Worrywort!

Things that go bump in the night!

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 3 August 2012 | Views [325]

We spent the first night back at Edinburgh at the pub our guide recommended on the Royal Mile. It was a decent pub and we even got to see the Olympic opening ceremony and a live band to top it off. We met up with some of the girls on the tour and proceeded to have a few beers before heading back to the hostel, tired after all the mountain climbing! Our hostel was a little out of the way but it was somewhere to rest our feet. 

Even though we had seen a bit of Edinburgh there was still so much more to explore. For some crazy reason I decided we should climb up Arthurs Seat and have a picnic. Off we set with our supplies and a rough estimation of where this hill was located (and a rough idea of how steep it was). We reached the base and attempted to climb up a dodgy side path with some luck, cutting out a little of the road ahead. We wandered and wandered, my legs already exhausted and made it to a little clearing. As we looked around there was a little hill and a massive hill, much to my dismay it was indeed the Arthurs Seat and somewhat looked like a sheer face of a million steps...

A good hour or so later we had made it to the top, amazing views over the city and you could still hear the bagpipes! We settled in, when it promptly starting raining, we still enjoyed our sandwiches and fruit while admiring the 360° view. Walking down was almost as hard as walking up with its steep, steep step. Made it back to the hostel, half alive and in a desperate need for a nap!

We headed out for our last night in Scotland and yes we did try Haggis (deep fried balls of Haggis) and yes it was delicious and no I could not stomach the thought of it! Ray quite enjoyed them though. A few quick beers then it was time to meet up with some people from our tour at 10:30pm to begin out ghost tour.....

So this tour has had people pass out, scratched, bruised and so on, unfortunately for us no one in our group had anything happen to them. We went under the bridges to where people used to live in slums and to the graveyard where all the Harry Potter names were taken from the headstones. We finished in a Mausoleum, got a bit of a fright when someone jumped out, ok I admit it I screamed, Ray just yelled back at the guy, quite confusing for everyone involved! Edinburgh was a must see in my books. Headed back to London to wait for the epic beginning of our Summer in Europe!!!!

L&R

 

About leaandray


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.