Existing Member?

Wanderings

So Much Pride

SINGAPORE | Sunday, 24 August 2008 | Views [1078]

My mom (second from left) and her sisters

My mom (second from left) and her sisters

Below is the The Straits Times article covering the Tan family reunion in Singapore. My mother and her sisters are mentioned:

Tan Tock Seng's kin here for reunion


July 25, 2008

150 members of the clan are meeting to mark 210th birth anniversary of philanthropist

By Serene Luo

SOMEWHERE in London, you might encounter a strapping police sergeant with ginger hair and clear blue eyes - nothing unusual, till you ask for his name. Mr Lawrence Tan Xu Wen, 39, never fails to raise eyebrows when he says it. He would have you know that his ancestor was philanthropist Tan Tock Seng, 'a famous founder of Singapore, my dad told me'.
Mr Tan, a sixth-generation descendant, is among 150 members of the Tan clan who have gathered in Singapore to mark the 210th year of Tan Tock Seng's birth.

Yesterday, 30 of them presented a copy of the Tan family tree to the Peranakan Museum in Armenian Street. The document - with 1,368 names running in a scroll almost 19m long - is the result of research into the family's genealogy done mainly by Mr Lawrence Tan and Mr Roney Tan, a Singaporean.

Of the family members gathering here, more than 30 are from overseas. Many have non-Peranakan and even Caucasian spouses and now live in England, Australia, Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia and the United States.

Mr Lawrence Tan's Caucasian looks come from his father and grandfather's marriages to Caucasian women. His 76-year-old retiree father Gerald Tan, who married an Englishwoman, is himself the result of the union between his Straits-born Peranakan father and a Scotswoman. He had fled Singapore by boat as a boy in 1942, just as the Japanese landed in Singapore.

Mr Lawrence Tan said: 'When you're a boy, the name 'Tan Tock Seng' doesn't mean anything to you. He's just some old man. But as you get older, family becomes most important.'

Mr Gerald Tan passed down this love of family to Lawrence, who became fascinated by his family's genealogy when, 15 years ago, an aunt gave him a weathered photocopied sheet listing 30 family members.

Mr Lawrence Tan now spends his spare time hunting down more members of the clan to add to the family tree. Six years ago in Singapore, he met Mr Roney Tan, a fifth-generation descendant, who helped him fill in several blanks.

Along with the family tree, the clan also lent the Peranakan Museum a rare painting of Tan Tock Seng and a photograph of one of his great-grandsons, Boo Liat.

Tan Tock Seng, a Malacca-born businessman best known for donating $5,000 in 1844 to start the hospital that today bears his name, gave money to bury the destitute as well. He also gave money to start the Thian Hock Keng Temple in Telok Ayer. He fathered three boys and four girls and was 52 when he died in 1850.

Mr Roney Tan, who organised the reunion, said the family is still looking for more members of the clan. He estimates that 80 per cent of them live in Singapore, another 15 per cent in Malacca and 5 per cent elsewhere.

The family gathering, the second after the first one three years ago, opened last Saturday with a dinner, followed by a trip to Malacca this week by some of them.

The merrymaking continued last night at the Penny Black pub in Boat Quay - formerly a shophouse owned by a son of Tan Tock Seng. The family will attend the Founder's Day celebrations at Tan Tock Seng Hospital today.

Clan member Evelyn Ang-Trottier, a 63-year-old college professor who now lives in Seattle, said she felt 'so much pride'.

'I feel closer to my family now. And I have a lot of relatives I didn't know about before.'

If you are a descendant of Tan Tock Seng and wish to be added to the family tree, e-mail info@family-tan.com

About laurentravels08


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.