Existing Member?

Wanderings

Lesson Number Four: Aussie Rules

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 5 August 2008 | Views [496]

Geelong Cats buried the Richmond Tigers... yay!

Geelong Cats buried the Richmond Tigers... yay!

I had an idea that Aussies are generally pretty laid-back and easy-going, but I didn't realize just how much so. The Aussies I have met so far are very casual in their language, mannerisms, fashion, etc. (but still very professional, as my Auntie insists!).

I was a little surprised by the greeting my mom and I received from a waitress. We had just walked into the restaurant and she came up and asked us, "are you girls being looked after?". Another time, when I was shopping, a young mate behind the register asked me if I was "onto that dress?" Both times I hesitated a bit because the inquiries seemed so informal... maybe I'm just too stodgy?

Instead of saying "how are you?" Aussies like to say "how ya going?", and instead of "good-bye" they say "see ya later" or "see ya", even if you don't know them and have no plans to see them again. So friendly! I've heard "I reckon" more than a few times, and of course there's the ubiquitous "no worries".

I have also learned how to use a few common Australian terms, such as "massive" and "heaps", rather than "huge" and "tons". Aussies also like to shorten words, and they sometimes add "ie" to the end, such as with "ciggie" (cigarette), "mozzie" (mosquito), "cardie" (cardigan), "gummie" (chewing gum), "mushie" (mushroom) and "sunnies" (sunglasses). Other words are just plain different, such as "pokies" (slots), "tucker" (food) and "bathers" or "swimmers" (swim suit). If something is amazing but true, Aussies sometimes say it's "fair dinkum". I love the way people talk here! It is English, but it's Aussiefied.

The other thing I've (sort of) learned is how crazy Aussies are about football, their football, that is: Aussie rules "footy". My aunt is a season ticket holder for the Geelong Cats, who apparently are the best team in the league. Footy is played on a large oval field, it's appears complicated and hectic, very rough (no padding!), and so different from American football, yet it does overlap a bit with our football, rugby, and soccer. I had a blast at the game, and I cheered loud for the Cats, at least when I knew what was going on!

About laurentravels08


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.