Existing Member?

Wanderings

Lesson Number Three: Put Down the Gum

SINGAPORE | Thursday, 17 July 2008 | Views [496]

Tan Tock Seng Hospital

Tan Tock Seng Hospital

Tomorrow I'm taking an overnight train to Singapore. I have been advised that customs will not allow me to bring any chewing gum or pork to the tiny island nation. The gum isn't a huge loss, but I'm disappointed that I have to leave all my pork behind.

The train will take about eleven long, bumpy hours, but at least it offers luxury private cabins with bunk beds and toilet, plus a food car, whereas the bus does not. A week later I'll be returning to KL on an Aeroline bus, and I anticipate being very dehydrated for that trip.

All this travel is well worth the effort, as I'll get to attend a family reunion dinner with 200 relatives on my grandmother's side. This banquet in Singapore is being held in honor of our ancestor Tan Tock Seng's 210th birthday. Obviously, he will not be in attendance.

Tan Tock Seng was a businessman and philanthropist. A well-known Singapore hospital is named after him. Check it out:

http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_118_2005-01-22.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tan_Tock_Seng_Hospital

I'm looking forward to the family reunion dinner, and to visiting the hospital. Meeting the Tan clan will be an interesting experience, to say the least. I have heard stories about my grandmother's old house, and I may even have a chance to see it inside and out. No doubt it has changed a lot over the years.

I'm also excited to spend a few days in Singapore. The food and shopping are supposed to be just as amazing, or better, than in Malaysia. Singapore is a very clean, and extremely strict, country. I will try to be on my best behavior.

About laurentravels08


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.