Existing Member?

Wanderings

Lesson Number Two: Lanes Optional

MALAYSIA | Sunday, 13 July 2008 | Views [511] | Comments [2]

Taxi view from safety of the backseat

Taxi view from safety of the backseat

Driving in Malaysia is an interesting study in survival. Everyone speeds, everyone tailgates. Three centimeters constitutes sufficient clearance for merging and cutting off fellow drivers. Lanes on the highway are merely a suggestion, in case one cares to use them.

It's amazing though, how the flow of traffic is still very fluid (whether too fast or too slow). Local drivers apparently know exactly what they're doing, which is why I have decided to abstain from driving in this country. Staying on the left-hand side of the road is difficult enough, not to mention the stress caused by near collisions and over eager Protons sucking at my bumper.

In addition, there are a ton of motorcycles here, which tend to cut in and out of traffic as if they're merely part of a video game. They also go the wrong way on one-way streets whenever they can get away with it. I even saw a family of four perched on a motorbike yesterday. Looks like loads of fun, but I think I'll pass on that one. I prefer to let my taxi driver play the odds.

Comments

1

This sounds just like Pakistan...my brother and I always count our near death experiences while driving.

I'm glad you're doing well and having fun! I'll email you soon with updates!

  Zareena Javed Jul 14, 2008 4:55 AM

2

And I thought Boston cab drivers were bad. I've read all your posts and it just sounds like you are having the most amazing time. What an experience. Travel safe and keep the posts coming. I miss you. Stay well.
Julie

  Julie Jul 17, 2008 2:52 AM

About laurentravels08


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.