Existing Member?

My Journey Journal

Asia: It's On!

MALAYSIA | Monday, 22 February 2010 | Views [403]

Kuala Lumpur, Day 1.  With all due respect to the wonders of New Zealand and Australia, today was a day when felt like I was truly traveling.   Traveling as in everything around me, the climate, the smells, the sounds, the food, and the social norms are all completely different than what I'm used to at home.  And I'm loving it.

We arrived late last night, impressed by the ease and cleanliness of the Kuala Lumpur airport and monorail system.  We made our way to our simple guesthouse near Times Square, which is essentially a huge shopping mall.  KL is in many ways what I expected as a southeast Asian capital city - frenetic and fast with diesel and food scented air, a combination of modern skyscrapers, Starbucks and KFCs, and crumbling grey buildings.  If you're walking around gazing up at the Petronas Towers or the visual buffet of neon signs above, you just have to keep one eye on the sidewalk to avoid the occasional open sewer covered by a two-by-four or the bustling pedestrian parade coming from all angles.

Malaysia is a predominately Muslim country, so women are covered to varying degrees from stylish dresses to burquas. Tourists in short shorts are more obvious than ever in contrast to the fully covered women.

Our first sightseeing destination was the Islamic Arts Museum. The galleries of art, models of centuries-old mosques, calligraphy and intricate embroidery were incredible - may favorite was an exhibit by American photographer Steve McCurry, whose photos are a striking commentary on life all over the Muslim world.

Later on we went to Chow Kit, a traditional market. At first glance it appeared small, with food stalls leading into a covered alleyway with a few tables.  But one alley led to another, with vendors lining the streets in every direction.  We followed it into a covered area smelling of dampness and fish and meat.  Late in the day, some vendors were hosing down their tables while others still displayed dried fish, fresh squid, and every part of a cow imaginable.  Back outside, a man pulled chickens from their crates, expertly slitting one throat after another, and tossing their lifeless bodies into a bin.  Allie took a video on her digital camera, while I averted my eyes and took an extra interest in the bananas. 

My first day in Malaysia was an eye-opening one - full of experiences I'm still replaying in my mind.  I love the feeling of being amazed at everything I see, and I'm looking forward to what the coming weeks in Asia will bring.

 

About laurakuebel

Twelve Apostles - Great Ocean Road

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.