Existing Member?

My Journey Journal

Bula from Fiji!

FIJI | Thursday, 7 January 2010 | Views [520] | Comments [3]

Our adventure begins with a two-day stopover in Fiji. After sleeping through the overnight flight, I arrived essentially two days later, rested and ready to explore.  One of my favorite things about travel is that first moment you step off the plane in a new place, and just inhale the scent and feeling of travel.  This time in pre-dawn Nadi, it was warm, earthy, tropical and welcoming.

After picking up some Bounty Rum at the airport duty-free shop (upon request from our hosts) our taxi driver, Jit, was waiting by the exit with a sign that read "Ms. Allie and Ms. Laura".  Allie had arranged what would be my first Couch Surfing experience with Fi and Api, a couple living in a traditional village called Viseisei.  Since our stay in Fiji is so short, we chose to stay local on Viti Levu, the main island.  

Api gave us a tour of the village at sunrise, which was brief but interesting.  Viseisei was the very first Fijan village - though people pass through occasionally, we soon realized we were the only travelers in town.  Everywhere we go, we hear "Bula! Bula!" (Fiji's traditional greeting) shouted from every porch and window, from little kids playing, women hanging their laundry, and men relaxing with a beer. Everyone in the village is "related", meaning they roam freely from home to home, share everything, and care for each others' children.  Regulars at our house include Lessa, the neighbor's one year old girl, and CS, a puppy adopted by one of the previous CouchSurfers.

Though we arrived on Jan. 7, the Fijans' New Year celebration have yet to end.  For over a week, they stay up until dawn every night drinking kava, playing music and celebrating.  When I awoke at 7 this morning, there was still live Fijan music (guitar, ukelele and a lovely 3-part harmony) wafting in from the back porch.

Fiji is quick to bring out that timeless feeling that comes with (especially long-term) travel - I'm still wrapping my head around the idea that this ever-changing reality will be my entire next three months.  Our brief stay here has already turned out to be more than just  a stopover to sleep off the jet lag and relax on the beach...we've met some of the most friendly, easygoing and welcoming people in the world, and had as much of an authentic experience as one can hope for in two days. Tomorrow we're off to New Zealand, but surely not before a kava-filled sendoff tonight! 

Tags: fiji

 

Comments

1

It sounds like a great start to the great adventure. You gave me a sense of what Fiji would be like and you made me want to go! Thanks Laura.

  Joan Keller Jan 9, 2010 3:12 AM

2

Music! Exploration! Drinking rum and kava! You are a true Gentlelady Adventurer. Damn, I love you.

  Jesse Jan 9, 2010 7:28 AM

3

I can taste and smell Fiji in your writing! Thanks for this peek into your adventure!

  Christie Ritter Jan 14, 2010 9:20 AM

About laurakuebel

Twelve Apostles - Great Ocean Road

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Fiji

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.