Existing Member?

Mera naam Laura hai

A few Days in one

INDIA | Thursday, 6 September 2007 | Views [635] | Comments [6]

An incredible amount has happened since I have last had internet access, but we are about to head to a cafe before it gets too late so I have to keep it short!


We saw the Taj Mahal at dawn... It was amazing! I am not joking. It was literally what I have hoped for! It was massive and impressive. I could barely believe how amazing it was in person. From there we had a myriad of insanity in Agra. Our driver took us to places that were all incredibly tourist centric and geared around shopping for jewelry and expensive marble... Pretty, but you know how much I love shopping so I started getting very angry when it was one place after another. All we wanted to see was a ghost city right outside Agra. He did drop us at the most frightening market I could imagine and we were howled at my children and boys who were groping themselves. Not very pleasant...

At long last we ended up in Krishna’s birthplace to take our train to Mumbai. We had two hours left to wait, but the beggars and the cows were better company than shopping at overpriced tourist locations.

FINALLY we are in Mumbai! It's a fantastic city! I could honesty live here (not in the black mold infested hotel we are staying in), but the city is beautiful and lively! We have been to a few art museums and today we went to Elephanta Island so see these incredible rock carvings of Shiva. We hiked all around the island and were sprayed with water from the Mumbai Bay on the way back, but all in all it was very lovely to get out of a city and adventure in the wilderness.


Alright off we go into the next (smaller) Monsoon...

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Hi Larzie, You had us scared again when we didn't hear from you for a few days. Dad said you probably didn't have any internet access, he was right. Your adventure grows every day and it all sounds so exciting!! I'm glad you girls are together and can take care of yourselves. I hope you are taking lots of pictures and i can't wait to see them all. We love you, Mom xoxoxoxoxox

  mom Sep 7, 2007 2:04 AM

2

Hi Laura,
I am glad you found a place to up-date the blog. Mom and I were getting scared. Sounds like your reading and preparation has helped you a lot. The places you have seen sound wonderful. What an adventure! I can't wait for the pictures and the stories you don't have enough time in a blog to tell:), Love, POP

  ME Sep 7, 2007 2:13 AM

3

Om Namah Shivaya...
Did you ever get to see the ghost city? I am thinking that you are referring to Fatehpur Sikri.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatehpur_Sikri

  Solon Sep 7, 2007 2:46 AM

4

girl, you better pick me up something exotic. . . .

  Eddie Sep 8, 2007 1:32 AM

5

I will have sex with the Taj Mahal if givin' the chance. . . . . . You are already way beyond my reach. . . . . I miss ya girl. . . . also, I'm a little drunk, but it's not my fault. . . I'm still recovering from Labor Day. plus I hope you're having fun.

Love,
E to the Deezy

  Eddie Sep 8, 2007 1:51 AM

6

Oh! How I adore the Lord Shiva! I hope you guys got great pictures of those statues.

But bleah on the scary markets. Bleah!

  starisea Sep 8, 2007 3:29 AM

About laurabell

Laura in Downtown Seattle

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.