Existing Member?

Mera naam Laura hai

First Day in Delhi

INDIA | Monday, 3 September 2007 | Views [526] | Comments [9]

So we made it! We stepped off the plane into a dark, but still rather warm (89 degrees at 8 pm) Delhi Airport. After our driver from the hotel forgot to pick us up only one scary rikshaw driver tried to con us into getting in with him before the police stopped him. He was apparently a "bad man!" We followed the police offer to the pre-paid taxi station and were on our way.

We stopped off for our first beverage in the country, a fresh coconut, hacked open by one of the dwellings that are all along the sides of the roads. Following that pleasant experience we were told the hotel was not a good place, but finally after insisting that we wanted to be dropped at the New Delhi station we found out way through Main Bazaar to the Viveck hotel.

Today was our first proper day in India. It was a mix of insanity and amazement! We woke around 4 and had deliciously sweet coffee and toast  that tasted like it had cheese inside while watching the sun rise to wake the people sleeping on the rooftops across the way. Setting out for our day around 6 or so the streets were empty. We wandered our way up to the Red Fort. (actually took the subway which was very nice and air conditioned!) Stacy and Jess said it was far better than the one in NY.

The Red Fort was deserted when we reached there at 7:30 and we (by we I mean Stacy) took tons of amazing shots of the buildings and, as people streamed in, all the beautiful saris! We met a lady from Australia who is here for work. She took us, in her hired car, to a few bazaars, the gate of India, and dropped us off at the train station to get home. A very pleasant surprise since we wanted to get some traditional clothing!

Finally we had our first real India meal on the rooftop restaurant of the hotel. Chicken butter masala and curry chicken with plenty of water... (I don't know if I have ever poured sweat like I have today.)

Our final excursion led us back to the train station to see if we could secure tickets for the 6am train to Agra to see the Taj Mahal... Since the tourist office was closed we were taken to the local Delhi tourist office where we found out the train we wanted to take was full. We are trying to figure out another way because we are all pretty determined to stay on track with the plan.

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

What an amazing first day, I can't wait to see pictures!

  John Sep 3, 2007 3:02 AM

2

What an amazing first day, I can't wait to see pictures!

  John Sep 3, 2007 3:26 AM

3

Laura - it sounds like you are having an absolutely amazing time so far! I can't wait to see all the pictures and hear all about it when you get back!

Bitty is missing you and very clingy.

  Kelly Sep 3, 2007 5:39 AM

4

Hi Laura, so good to hear from you. We are glad you are ok and having a great adventure. We love you and are keeping you in our prayers, hugs, mom xoxoxoxoxox

  mom Sep 4, 2007 1:06 AM

5

Laura,
wow, have a good time and be safe. I also can not wait to see all of your pictures and to see you oct. Have a good time!
We love you,
Suzi and family

  suzanne Sep 4, 2007 11:53 AM

6

Laura,

I'm glad you (finally) made it. Even your first day sounds to be an adventure. I couldn't be happier for you!

I definitely can't wait to see pictures. Take care,
Jonathan

  jonathan Sep 5, 2007 2:24 AM

7

INDIA ? yes, we always knew you were crazy!
have a great trip [and don't forget to take your pepto bizmal!]
we expect to be invited to see all your pix when you get home ! [ we have to live vicariously through you, you know !]. luv, col and steve

  colleen and steve oazb Sep 5, 2007 10:08 AM

8

Oh! It sounds lovely.

I miss you tons! Be safe and full of wonder.

xoxoxoxo

  starisea Sep 6, 2007 9:20 AM

9

so awesome. I wish I was there with you guys.

  alyssa_schwartz Sep 8, 2007 12:45 PM

About laurabell

Laura in Downtown Seattle

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.