Existing Member?

Loving life. Living Life. Doing life. Some are just waiting for the fish to bite; or for the wind to fly a kite; or a pot to boil, or a better break; some are just waiting for a string of pearls, or a pair of pants; a wig with curls, or another chance.... Everyone is just waiting (it seems)

The Road to Lusaka

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 22 March 2012 | Views [206]

The only word I can use to describe the drive to Lusaka is this: Long. Tht'as it. I could leave it there, but I won't. I will tell you about it. About the goat I had to swerve and miss; about the millions of potholes along the way. About the whole ten hours.

We were prepared and drove out of our driveway at 0607am. It's a nice time of day to be awake. The cool, crisp air, with the sun just poking out through the clouds paints a backdrop for the drive ahead. As we exit the gates and leave behind us our work, our house, the red dirt road, we venture forward, along this great open road. Along this first stretch of road, are villages, scattered along both sides, to the right - to the left I see small mud huts with thatched roofing. For kilometres and kilometres there is nothing on either side. The one constant is the trucks. What feels like millions of them. The thing is, the general speed limits on the roads here is 100km/h. Trucks are allowed to drive at a maximum speed of 80km/h ~ but they usually drive at 60km/h. The general rule is that you overtake them, which is pretty scary if you ask me. Not that you did. 

Anyway, after house of dodging goats and trucks, we arrive into Lusaka. I am no stranger to African cities. Although obvious signs of Africa, there are also signs that make it distinctly Zambian too. Despite being extremely tired and worn, and the sun starting to fall, I feel as though I may quite like Lusaka. 

About laura_jane


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.