Existing Member?

Gabble and Gait

Peguche Waterfall and Garden

ECUADOR | Friday, 4 January 2008 | Views [1458]

*Peguche is an indigenous village well-known for its skilled weavers and its traditional music. The Peguche Waterfall is approximately 20 meters high and located within forty hectares of forest declared "Watershed Protected Forest and Vegetation." For several communities, this waterfall is the main source of natural power and strength, and as such is frequented by the yachackuna (shamans) as part of their healing practice.*

Sophy and I were looking for an afternoon activity and were delighted to stumble upon the Peguche community and reserve. The Imbabura Volcano is an impressive backdrop as we followed a dirt road towards the site, getting nods from the natives and a stern point in the direction of the reserve. Stern I believe because they were heading up a different trail that we later learned was another way into or out of the park, bypassing the registering point. The community seemed very organized and catered to tourists venturing out to admire the local handicrafts...maybe even too organized in their copycat houses. We also spent some time peering into renovated hotels, what appeared to be summer homes, and a somewhat abandoned school. This was one of the many moments we imagined having a farmhouse on the outskirts of a bustling city, a wrap-around porch with views of mountains and volcanoes, gardens for one to sprawl in the sunshine or share with close friends a golden-hued brunch or pastel-skied tea.

Sophy and I were not expecting anything spectacular, we just wanted to stretch out our limbs for awhile. The Peguche gardens,however, were a lovely surprise made up of several different trails amongst a Eucalyptus forest...a child's delight. There were several little passageways connecting to other trails or clearings..."rabbit holes" of vines and flowers to burrow through, I have the scratches to prove it. There were nooks and crannies of flowers as well as areas that were shawled with different hues of blues, oranges and reds. The waterfall was a nice addition, but I think our mischievous hearts were set on exploring the private gardens, indigenous ruins, and following the tiniest trails that seemed only to be tread by the natives. This area must have some sort of healing element, because I felt completely revived from our long travel, not wanting our afternoon garden to disappear.

Tags: The Great Outdoors

About laura


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.