Existing Member?

Daniel Greece, (program of education for make benefit beautiful nation of Australia)

Day 28

GREECE | Wednesday, 4 August 2010 | Views [480]

The drive to Agio Vasili took about 2.5 hrs with a stop for coffee along the way. I went in Thanasi’s car and along the way we stopped at a monastery called Panageia Elena. They were in the process of doing some rennos on it but it was still amazing to see, dug into the side of a mountain.

We got to Agio Vasili at around lunch time. We checked out Papou Thanasi’s house and what Theo Nicko had done with it. One thing I really liked was that they had hung up or displayed all of the old things in the house, like Papou Thanasi’s stick, the sewing machine, ironing board and many other things. We went out for lunch at a little restaurant and had lamb chops and chips, among other things, Thanasi had been going on about how Agio Vasili has the best lamb chop in the world. They were tasty, but I mean they weren’t as good as one of our barbecues…

After lunch I took some more time to explore the house and see what I could find. After a little while we all left to head to Palio Hori, Papou’s village, it’s only 7 kms away. When we got there we asked some of the locals where Thodoro Nickolokakis’ house is so we could go and surprise him and Nick. The look on Nick’s face was pretty good when we all rocked up at his door. There house is also coming along really nicely, Pep is going to live like a king when he goes over.

Nick showed us where Papou’s house is and one of Papou’s first cousins came to unlock it for us. The house wasn’t in too bad shape, still very much intact but Nick aid it wa starting to get one or two holes in the roof. I had a look all around the house and found some pretty special souvenirs to take home, like a letter to Dimitri from Papou in 1990, Papou’s mum’s glasses and a little icon of Saint George.

We then all headed to the main square of the village, sat down, had a drink and a chat and then left for Agio Vasili and sleep.

About lannigan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.