Existing Member?

bird legs getting bigger

Chaing Mai!

THAILAND | Tuesday, 24 February 2009 | Views [438]

We have only been in Chaing Mai 9 hours, - 5 of them awake, and I love it!!! We got here at 7:30AM, we bustled around in mini taxis for a bit and got dropped off not at our choice guesthouse, but eventually we took a tuk tuk to the Gust House I had picked out the day before and were there by 8. What a lovely guesthouse. The lady at reception was very nice and gave off a trustworthy professional vibe. For 175 Baht each ($5) we got a very bright room, 2 beds, large bright, clean bathroom with hot shower and windows and fluffy white towels and soap and toilet paper (you don' always get that for this price!) The room is small but nicely decorated and very clean and we even have a small padio that I've read on already.Also we got a tall fan AND a TV - we've never paid this little for all that =) So we slept from 8-11:30 because a good over-night bus ride sleep is IMPOSSIBLE. I got up at 11:30 and had a refreshing shower and then we went for lunch. There are vegetarian restaurants everywhere! I ended up getting stir-fried green beans, tofu, and the most delicious mushrooms I've ever tasteed in a milk red curry sauce, served with a plate of brown rice (yay) and a banana shake and a latte for under $3! It was so satisfying, after eating junk food on the bus all night. After that I read on the patio for a long time while Dave watched a movie. And now I just finished going on a walk. I went by accident in a very convenient loop right back to my gueshouse. This area of Chaing Mai I am in is the touristy section and it is QUIET. Ahhhhh! I almost felt like I was back on the island (vancouvr island), in an older part of town. The streets are all small and nicely lit by the sunlight, and there are small friendly shops everywhere and GARDENS and plant life everywhere - something I have not seen in over a month! I was walking down a quiet sidestreet and it was 4:30PM at the time, and there were houses off to the sides and women watering their pots and I got the biggest wave of nostalgia.- It reminded me of being a young girl and just playing about in the yard and neighborhood while my mum watered pots, not a care in the world! Everyone I come across is very friendly here and always smiles and says hello. I wanted to update because we've literally done nothing really and I'm already so in love with this city. Tomorrow we are going to start looking into treks and day trips we can do. I will update soon! Just wanted to say I'm very, very, verrrry happy here, and this is the first place, since I've been away from home, that I could actually say I'd like to live. =0 Crazy! But it's only day one, so I am eager to see how my opinion differs over the week. Talk soon!

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.