Existing Member?

bird legs getting bigger

Sihanoukville, Cambodia

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 18 February 2009 | Views [603] | Comments [2]

We made it to Sihanoukville after a long, hot, 11 hour bus ride on Sunday. - I feel at home again. The ocean is where my heart is.

On our first night we stayed at a guesthouse that was fine, but a walk from the beach and not really "Lando" style. I can't believe I still have an aesthetic standard here. But! I do. So the next day we found a sweet set of bungalows right on the beach and moved right in. They are small, but very clean and brightly painted. Also we have a private balcony, which is nice to read on. And it's just a 10 second walk to the beach - Along with, since it's our guesthouse, we can sit on the beach chairs for free rather than having to sit on a restaurants beach chairs and buy drinks off and on all day.

The beach here IS lovely. But true to what I've read, sadly it is not an escape from the garbage. Not much of a surprise. Boo, it makes me really, really sad. In the main strips of ocean where there are lots of people it's not so bad, but near the rockier shore line and less busy areas there are plastic bags, straws, bottles, and containers floating around. It's so gross. But not gross in an I'm a snob way. Like I said, it's gross in a sad way. The poor poor world.

Aside from the garbage areas it is so nice to swim in. The water is the warmest water I've ever swam in. It's sometimes so warm, that it IS NOT refreshing after baking in the sun. But it's so much fun to just float and float and float in total comfort. There are nice size waves too. Not threatening, but nice to bob up and down on while floating on your back.  There are snorkeling day trips offered everywhere. $15 gets you on the boat from 8AM-5:30PM, includes breakfast, lunch, snorkel gear and trips to 3 islands. So we are definitely going to do that eventually. Hey, maybe twice!

Above the white sand the beach is lined, completely packed, with bars and restaurants that are on HAPPY HOUR, ALL DAY. It's kind of funny. But we aren't in  a drinking mood, but a 50 cent pint of beer is hard to resist on a warm evening beach walk!

There is one major difference here relaxing on the beach than on Thailland. - It can be really, really sad and uncomfortable at times. There are many beggars on the beach. Women with babies asking for money, old women asking for money, and lots of men with no legs, hopping with their arms from person to person asking for money. It's such a contrast from (a tourists) lifestyle that it makes me feel sick. Honestly, I'm asking my reader's, what am I supposed to do? I couldn't give a good amount to everyone... And if I did just give out small amounts would this attract attention and have women and children surrounding me? It's awful.On top of that, the women and children that have something to offer - Fruit, manicures, massages, bracelets, are really, really aggressive. It becomes annoying and a burden to be on the beach sometimes. Everyone I say no to gets mad ( sorry I don't want 10 pounds of fruit, I don't want 100 different bracelet's from 100 different children, and I don't want a manicure or pedicure, I already have had them done!) - Anyway they get mad and make me PROMISE, that if I do want any of these things eventually I only come to them. And sometimes they almost literally make you pinkie swear.

I'm not trying to complain, I just want to give the full picture. It isn't that bad, you can go long stretches if minutes without being bothered, and the minutes are hot and divine. It is so hot here and the water is so inviting that I can't stop swimming, it's so much fun!!!

Today wasn't a sunny day but it was so warn and so humid. Dave and I had beakfee and eventually went for an early afternoon swim. We felt pretty gross after so we had refreshing cold showers and when we looked back out the window it was POURING. We haven't seen rain here yet. The grey sky actually made me feel a lot less homesick! Our balcony is sheltered and raised above ground level, so we read outside while it rained and it was such a good, good feeling. The smell made me happy. =)

Tomorrow I will upload some photos. I will be adding some more to my Siem Reap album, so be sure to check that again, and I will also put some new ones of Sihanoukville up. Hope everyone is good. Anyone that reads this be sure that I miss you, and appreciate you more than ever =)

Comments

1

I really get a very good picture from your description, Landon. Yes, it's sad that there's so much litter and junk in such a beautiful place. I think this is more from ignorance than anything else. And "poor poor world" is right on!!
It all sounds very cosy where you are. I can picture the pouring rain, and you two sitting comfortably reading on your balcony. Hope you take lots of pictures. I know you are happy to be near the beach.
Keep writing....looking forward to seeing picture. Now I'm off to see if Davey Doo had updated his blog....love to you both..xoxo

  Bert Feb 18, 2009 12:21 PM

2

Hi - liked your review, where did u stay, going for a month in august, any suggestions for a room with tv and ac near beach please.

  Swhaz Jul 23, 2009 7:03 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.