Existing Member?

Jenny's Lake District Experiences

A Daffodil-icious Walk Round Windermere

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 21 February 2013 | Views [375]

A trip to Windermere was calling to have a meeting with the guys at Hillthwaite. A perfect excuse one may say to take the little dog along with me too and get out for a walk afterwards. The forecast was good both at home and for over at Windermere so it was a no brainer really.

The journey over was lovely and it was great to be able to go over Corney Fell now it's reopened after the snow and ice, that coast road really does my head it! There wasn't a cloud in the sky, it was just beautiful. Pulling up outside of Hillthwaite (it's a hotel in Windermere by the way, lovely place, family run http://www.hillthwaite.com) and I caught sight of my first daffodil of the day. It was sheltering away in the corner against a wall and was half way into full bloom I'd say. It just felt so nice to see something that is so quintessentially spring like. Even though it was freezing cold, combine the bright sunshine with seeing my first daffodil of the year and I was excited.

I decided that cam and I would do a walk I've not done since working in Ambleside back in the day, Orrest Head. On a day like it was so clear and still, I thought the view is just going to be amazing from up there. From there you can see right down either end of the lake and over to the Fairfield Horseshoe and Langdale Pikes. Cam was loving it and I think he must have found it quite strange to go on a fell walk with no snow. Back at home, there' still a fair bit about. How he's going to cope when the summer comes though and that thick mop of black fur, I don't know.

I'd parked at Booths so obviously it would be hugely bad of me if I didn't go in and buy some Booths food. One basket of full on goodies including some posh aged balsamic and a Higgidy Pie, yum!

The drive home was equally as stunning, I really don't think you can beat reaching the top of Corney to find the West Cumbria coastline with St Bees Head in the distance. Naturally, there's the small matter of a nuclear power station inbetween it but hey ho!

Tags: lake district, windermere

About lakesjen


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.