Existing Member?

Chronicle Of An Adventure Foretold

Nicaragua 2003, The Value of Money

NICARAGUA | Thursday, 1 May 2003 | Views [334]

Alright. So there are around 2 billion people in the world living in poverty, right? Something like that, vaguely defined as "living on less than $1 a day" if I recall. But what exactly does that mean, how much is a dollar worth in a poor country anyway? I’ve never really understood. What does it mean to live on less than a dollar a day?

Well, consider the following: in Nicaragua a dollar won’t buy you a 5 minute phone call to the next major town. It won’t buy you a return bus trip to a town half an hour away. It won’t buy toothpaste or a single piece of clothing. It will buy you sex, drugs, or a cup and a half of coffee

This is a country where more than 50% of the population is under 16. It’s cheaper to buy sex than to buy birth control. It’s cheaper to buy crack than to buy a hot cooked meal.

To give you an idea of what money will buy relatively speaking here’s an example: ($1 = 15 Cordobas. All prices are in Cordobas)

Bag of mango sold on street 2

Newspaper 3

Can of coke 5

Ice cream 6

Condoms (3) 6

Sex 10

Crack 10

Packet of biscuits 10

Bus trip 45 minutes 12

Toothpaste 24

chike & rice dinner 20

Magazine 25-45

Cotton top sold in market 70

Contraceptive pill (1 packet) 100+

Child labour is endemic to Nicaragua and Mexico. Countless families in both countries survive on the income brought in by children, either breaking and hauling stones, sifting through rubbish, or selling drugs. Police aren’t allowed to search children so some parents figure it’s better to send their children out selling drugs than risk it themselves. Crack is the primary traded product among minors. One mother admitted to sending out 6 kids all below the age of 10. It’s easy to sell and cheap to buy. In parts of the country there are kids as young as six buying crack. On boy from Honduras said he’d been smoking it for 3 years and it’s the best thing that’s ever happened in his life. The effects only last 15-20 minutes. It doesn’t say much...

As regards prostitution, one of the striking features of female prostitutes in Belize was how vulnerable they were. It’s an unpleasant livelihood. A nurse who had worked with many of them said that for the most part, they had been sexually abused and thus have so little self esteem, that it takes little more away from them if other people abuse them. And to clear up a little myth, "happy" prostitutes fall into the same category as honest politicians and flying pigs. Prostitution is soul destroying enough, but when all it buys you is a packet of biscuits that isn’t "living" on less than a dollar a day. That’s barely existing.

Living on a dollar a day here means you struggle to afford basic personal hygiene products like toothpaste or clothes. Heck you can’t afford the return bus fare to the nearest town even if you wanted to buy those things. Having travelled in Central America (and it’s not cheap) I regularly wonder how people survive. On such little money you can’t do anything, take the bus or make a phone call. In fact you can’t do much other than sit in a little mud brick house subsisting on a basic diet of rice and beans and never getting sick because you can’t afford the medicine.

And that, in case anyone else, like me was wondering, is what it means to live on less than a dollar a day..

Tags: nicaragua

About ladyc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.