Existing Member?

Chronicle Of An Adventure Foretold

Belize 2003, The road trip continues

BELIZE | Tuesday, 15 April 2003 | Views [409]

Goodbye from Belize...

Continuing my tour of Central America I am flying to Nicaragua on Friday so it’s adios to my lovely little home here. I love this country, I love, love, love this country you have no idea. This country is so laid back its falling off the horizontal.

Belize is the olympic champion of the "anything goes" mentality. Take for example the elections. Everything that happens (or more irritatingly doesn’t happen) is "because of the elections". Schools close early, kids go on field trips the country takes a national holiday "because of elections". Not only that, but they take the following day off "because its the day after elections; trying to get any business done whatsoever is impossible, the stock response to anything is

"call me after the elections"

"what, Thursday?" [the elections are held on a Wednesday]

"No, next Tuesday"

"??"

See, election day is a national holiday, the day after the elections, of course, is also a national holiday because 'it’s the day after elections’. Friday, obviously is Friday and the Monday after the elections was also a random public holiday that nobody really explained to me so basically Election Day is a week off. With a national population of 250,000 that’s a long time to count those ballot papers.

Easter meanwhile, is a national two week break. In fact even in the full throes of normal working hours, events, meetings and social gatherings are automatically understood by all (except foreigners) to be cancelled and disbanded if it’s raining. Basketball matches, classes, meetings - many a luckless volunteer has turned up not realising that the 3 minute shower of rain automatically meant the event was cancelled.

But for a relaxation style that would make even Homer Simpson proud, take a wander past the local fire station. At any given time, the fire-fighters (all 2 of them) can be found lounging in front of the TV with an arm thrown over the back of the chair - which on closer inspection turns out to be the front seat of a car,

On the one occasion that the firefighters were called into action to quell a flaming house I was highly amused to see them in action - now in all fairness they did put the fire out (well done boys). But it was very difficult to tell who was a firefighter and who was a civilian. Quite apart from the fact that the whole town had come out to watch the blaze and many were lending a hand, nobody was in a uniform. One man wore the fire trousers, another man wore a single glove, somebody else had the luminous braces; it was difficult to tell if this was because the entire fire crew share a uniform or that they simply didn’t have time to get dressed because they were watching the soaps on TV!

On one journey we took to the beach it turned out that the bus we were travelling was on fire too (these things happen). None of us would have noticed but for the fact that the boys by the road were shouting 'fire fire'. In true Belizean style we were all perfectly relaxed and started to make our way out of the emergency exit which was walled up with boxes, buckets and backpacks.

Seizing the occasion (certainly not the need) a couple of American self-styled heroes declared "Calm, everybody just Stay Calm' Don’t they understand?? This is BELIZE. We redefine calm. We practically had to wake people up to get them off the bus! Tourists! tsk! ; )

There’s plenty that could be learned from them this culture though. Common sense for one thing. Road rage does not exist in this country - how refreshing. Why would the men swear at each other out of car windows? What for? Why waste time heckling at the men when you can heckle at the women instead?

"hey baby, hey sweetheart"

"Sweetness you lookin so fine"

"Hey snowflake want some coffee with your cream"

In fact I’m going to suffer when I’m back in the UK because there will be no one to say "morning beautiful" to me every day. Sadly, we shouldn’t be too flattered because the men are not exactly discriminating in their taste. On a night out at the local jaunt a man said to our male friends "tell either of those girls Id like to go out with them - either of them"

"ah, they’re with us actually"

"oh that’s ok tell them anyway"

They have a liberal approach to the concept of fidelity : )

Anyway .. back to the cars. A car crash in the UK this would be a scene of road rage, storms of aggression, much mobile phone flapping and an all round excuse for a good punch up. Not so in Belize. At a cafe one day we were all woken from our 38 degree heat-induced torpor by the sound of screeching tyres followed by a loud crunch. I went outside to see one car firmly wedged into the back of another truck. The kids in sitting in the back of the truck were watching with curiosity, the man who caused the crash got out of his car, slowly scratched his chin, wandered round surveying the damage (a few broken lights, the odd dent) and the man in the front truck simply sat very calmly behind the wheel of his vehicle with an expression that suggested he might be considering getting out of his car, but then again he might not... By the time I’d been to the shops and returned, the cars were still there and drawing a crowd but it was all very civilised. Your car broke you fix it. Because in Belize cars are - *and this will sound a little crazy* wait for it - cars. Not status symbols, not 'pride and joy' just vehicles,moving tin pots with wheels to get you from A to B.  S if they break, you just fix them. No sweat.

The man who lives across the street from my home has an open house/open car policy. He, let’s anyone in the house who wants to use his car. Same with his house. Need somewhere to stay? Sure there’s a couple of rooms free at the back of the house. Go right ahead. At first I thought it was some strange Rastafarian hippy commune, I then realised that he was just a laid back guy from a family with a kind and common sense approach to possessions.

But as laid back as they may be they have a fierce national pride. Nowhere else have I ever seen such a mix of ethnic cultures and tolerance, and the diversity of ethnic mix is a source of national pride. Busses are always a colourful mix of Creole, Hispanic, Mayan, Rasta, Mennonite and well pretty much anything else you can find all mixed together. (But no matter what the composition of the passengers, the mammas are always in charge; of the bus the passengers and the drivers).

They are a very proud country (all 250,000 of them) a particular joy was the coverage in the national newspaper of Belize’s anti war protests. The paper read

" with placards in their hands about 18 persons, mostly men marched to the US embassy"

Eighteen.

Eighteen people held a demonstration and it made the national newspaper. The photo was on the front page! I love this country! I was particularly charmed by the last line of the article "The demonstration, which began at 10am and finished at midday was without confrontation or violence"

Like it. 18 adults behaved themselves. (It is Belize, they probably went and had a drink with the US embassy staff after they’d finished).

I will miss this little place, it has become my home and I’ve really grown to love it, I made some great friends here and I did an awesome project which went far better than I would ever have imagined. But, my three months is up so it’s time to move on (sob!...) After Nicaragua Ill spend a little time working my way up through El Sal and Guatemala before flying out of Mexico. I am also you’ll be glad to know conducting very thorough research for an alternative lonely planet guide - instead of central America on a shoestring I think I’ll be writing "central America, the hospital tour" I have Mexico and Belize ticked off the list already. Alternatively I might write one of those worst case scenario handbooks with handy hints such as "Diarrhoea - when disaster strikes - what to do on a 12 hour night bus when there’s only one toilet between 60 passengers" Yeah I had fun in Mexico...you don’t want the details.

Well that’s all for now

Postcards may be lost in the post.

Lots of love,

Catherine

Tags: belize

About ladyc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.