Existing Member?

India.. . . My travels through India and teaching adventure in Lucknow

Trains to Temples

INDIA | Friday, 22 July 2011 | Views [832]

So trains in India are an experience in and of themselves.  We arrived on the platform of the Lucknow stations well ahead of schedule and waited for the Bareli Express to Varanasi well past the scheduled departure time.  That was probably our fault if you think about the kind of schedules Indians keep in general—by that I mean no schedule.  Once on the train it took some physical adeptness to squirm/launch myself into the middle bunk.  The AC3 car of the train consists of 3 berths on each side of a compartment which is closed off by a curtain.  AC 3 is a luxury apartment compared to the other seating on the train, where people are literally crammed into every nook and cranny.  It is an amazing site to see, really.  So after the initial giddiness of simply being on a train wore off I attempted to sleep.  Which as most of you know I don’t really sleep well to begin with so let’s just say I laid in my bunk (no sitting up or you hit your head) for about 7 hours.  It really sounds a lot worse than it was.  I would not be averse to doing it again let’s put it that way J  After a night of “rest” we were awoken by the train conductor saying we had arrived in Varanasi, good thing Varanasi was the last stop or we could have ended up only god knows where!  So we sluggishly removed ourselves from the train and shuffled towards the auto rickshaws.  After a bit of haggling by Shibani we were on our way.  We arrived at Palace on the Ganges (by the grace of god, these rickshaw drivers really are insane in Varanasi) on Asi Ghat around 7am, had a delightful breakfast of aloo parathas, quickly showered, and were out of the hotel by 9:30am. 

 

Once out we walked along the ghat as far as we could before the height of the river forced us to higher ground.  There we met two locals who proceeded to take us through the twisting streets of Varanasi to the many temples that lay among them.  History break: Varanasi is the oldest city in India it has gone through 3 name changes: Kashi, Benaras (Banaras), and Varanasi.  Our “guides” told us the city itself contains over 2,500 temples.  It is an extremely holy site for Hindus and Buddhists.  Sarnath, which we visited on Sunday, is apparently were Buddha first delivered his 8-fold path message of enlightenment to his followers.  The Ganges, or Ganga, River holds significance for Hindus, it is believed that if you die here you basically go straight to heaven—no pit stops. 

 

Back to our walk.  We saw so many temples they all seem to blend together, but I’ll do my best to separate them.  First we saw the Water Temple (Temple of Fertility—it has these steps leading down to the river and women who are having trouble conceiving walk down the steps and bathe in the water—I stayed out of that one.  Also the water is said to wash away your sins).  From there we followed our guides through the streets to the Tulsi Temple (for the gods Ram & Krishna), the Durga Temple, the Hanumaan or Sankata Mochan or Monkey Temple.  The Monkey Temple was crowded with people and monkeys.  At this temple you buy sweets called La dulce and offer them to the god, the are blessed and then given back to you to eat.  At this temple old Indian women nearly plowed through us to have their offerings blessed while others sat cross legged chanting amid the chaos, and monkeys walked around ignoring the humans.  After Hanumaan we walked the dark, narrow streets of the Sham Shan ghat or cremation ghat.  The “untouchables” (lowest caste in India) cremate people along the river here.  There was a pyre burning while we were there and you felt a kind of heaviness about the air, that wasn’t due to the humidity.  From there we moved on to the Shiva temple on Kadar Ghat, there was no electricity and we made our way through the puddles to little rooms receiving blessings and delivering offerings to the god of destruction.  I will say I found the temples to be the most interesting part of my trip to Varanasi.  At almost every turn there is someone with a red or white dot on their forehead that he or she received from a blessing at a temple.  It is almost as involuntary as breathing for the people there.  There is a great amount of ritual involved and I will say that I tried to keep up and be sensitive to people’s religion (like entering a temple only with your right foot, touching statues and receiving offerings only with your right hand, donating a sufficient amount of rupees—no religion is without its “charity”), but it was the most alienating and accepting feeling at the same time.  There go the Indian contradictions again.  Alienated because of how foreign the customs were to me and accepted because of the willingness of strangers to include me in their faith. 

 

So after our 3 ½ hour journey we were ready for lunch.  We politely dismissed our guides, offering them payment which they would not accept (they said they believed in knowledge transfer—I choose to believe they were telling the truth.  They bought me flowers for my birthday so I will erase any possible ill intentions on their part J ), and headed to Orchids for lunch.  Our rickshaw driver got lost in terrible heat and humidity, poor guy, but we got a mini tour of the crowded city along the way which was kind of nice.  After lunch we went to BHU (Banaras Hindu University) a sprawling campus that used to be one of the top universities in India.  We made our way to yet another temple before heading back to Asi ghat and our hotel for a bit of a rest before heading out for the 7pm Aarti on the ghat.  Well rested, more or less, we made our way to the rivers edge where Shibani patiently haggled with boat operators for 30 minutes before settling on Rs 300/ person to take us to the Dasashwamedh Ghat to watch the Aarti.  The boat ride down the Ganga was quite beautiful with some incredible architecture along the way.  I’m afraid the pictures really do not do it justice.  We arrived at the ghat just before 7pm and made our way to the steps just past the shore to light candles and set them adrift on the river.  We then settled in to watch the ceremony.  The Aarti is a 45 minute prayer ritual performed by Brahmin priests paying homage to the river.  They sound conch shells and light these metal objects that are shaped kind of like snakes and chant while swinging them around.  Their chanting is quite moving even from an outsiders perspective.  Yet the moment you begin to feel the “spirit” you are distracted by boats crowded with tourists facing the ghat only a few meters away from the shore and sporting advertisements for Vodafone and Tata Dacomo (cell phones).  Not the most spiritual sight.  Nonetheless it was overall an amazing sight to see.

 

After the Aarti people go up to receive offerings from the priests (little sweets, cucumbers, guava—all objects that were blessed during the ceremony) its similar to receiving communion.  We weren’t fast enough for all the offerings, but in another show of Indian hospitality a woman saw me and offered me some of the sweets she received.  We then made our way up the steps to a throbbing market place (Times Square, but without the neon light lights and cows) and found Raju a quick talking rickshaw driver to take us back to our hotel.  He gave us the Indian price because Shibani is Indian J  He proceeded to show me all of these laminated cards which were reviews people had written about him all in Spanish no less!  He was quite amusing and persistent, but made for an entertaining ride home.  Once back we had a delicious meal at our hotel, due to sheer exhaustaion, shared a warm beer and called it a night!  Overall it was a most enjoyable 30th birthday!

About kylabg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.