Existing Member?

India.. . . My travels through India and teaching adventure in Lucknow

Just try to blend in. . .

INDIA | Saturday, 16 July 2011 | Views [4694]

cows take over the roundabout

cows take over the roundabout

Sunday Anand took me around the city.  The “real” part in his words.   We scootered over to Hazrat Gunj which is a large street lined with shops.  The shops run the gammet, from Puma and Coffee Day (Indian Starbucks) to tiny hole in the wall stationary shops and your very own roadside temple.  Anand, being a Hindu himself, believes these temples to be a ridiculous joke.  I think they’re kinda pretty.  After parking the scooter we walked along the street stopping in various places to eat.  What else do you do with guests in a new city?  J

 

All the restaurants have a sit down area in addition to a stand in front where you can get food “to go.”  We went to the Royal Inn Café (the walkup) and had Aloo Tikka Chat.  This is a tangy potato (aloo) snack that comes in a kind of cup, its made with potato, chat massala, and yogurt.  Really good!  It has the same flavors as Aloo Kachoris (the roommates will know what I’m talking about).  Again along our walk we stopped in a restaurant and split a kind of lamb sloppy joe.  Which with all the healthy food I’ve been eating at home (Urvashi’s on a diet) it really hit the spot!  Also it was the first meat I’ve had since I got here.  

 

We continued our walk and then hopped in a rickshaw and ended up in Aminabad.  This is an area of Lucknow with a huge market/bazaar.  This area of town is more what I thought India would be like.  It is teeming with people, cars, rickshaws, and cows.  There we had Kulfi which is a saffron ice cream with pistachios and rice noodles .  The texture is pretty interesting, but not bad.  And most of you know how I am with textures J  We continued our wandering through the crowded market place.  There were tons of fabric stalls, shoe stalls, cane furniture stalls, and so many more that I was gleefully overwhelmed.  I told Anand I don’t think I can ever buy anything in India because every time I turn around there is something I like more in the next stall.  Sensory overload I tell you! 

 

On the way back to Hazrat Gunj we rode past a bunch of Nawab palaces.  They are these huge beautiful buildings built by the Nawab’s.  The nawabs were Shiite muslims that were known for enjoying the finer things in life and not being too intense politically or religiously but just really liked nice things.  So the architecture is very Islamic with vaulted spaces, huge domes, horseshoe scalloped archways, and repeating decorative arabesque patterns.  They also built many gates/entry points into the city.   I pass one on the way to Malihabad (Land of Mangoes—where the village school is). 

 

Throughout the day I was met by interesting glances, outright stares, and greetings of “Hello” in an Indian’s best American accent, and laughter on Anand’s part.  Being the only white person in a wide radius can have that affect on people (although I did see another white person in the market we shared an unspoken moment of kinship together).  So I was reluctant to take pictures at first, but then I decided I already stick out so why not just go all out?  Forget blending in! Also I included some more photos, I remembered to harness my inner Asian and take pictures of food.   I hope you enjoy the photos, need less to say they are not the highest quality considering the car/cow/rickshaw/mass of people dodging you have to do to take a photo in India, but I hope a little of the brilliance of this city comes through. 

 

Also I don't know if it comes through in these photos, but the caste system in India is still very much in place.  The Chief Minister of Lucknow is Ms. Mayawati and she is from the lower caste of India.  This sounds promising enough right?  However, it is very apparent that she has done nothing to help her constituents.  She built them a huge park, Gomti Nagar Park, a sprawling place of marble and sandstone with huge sculptures that takes up a large portion of the city center, but for what?  "Her people" are still uneducated, ill-cared for, and unable to move up in the caste system.  In addition, she even built a statue of herself holding a Gucci handbag, that she tore down and rebuilt because she didn't think it was big enough.  There is so much corruption in the Indian government it isn't difficult to see why people like this are so easily elected into office.  I went to the park at night so its difficult to tell just how much land it uses up, but Idrive by its empty shell everyday on my way to work.  There is never anyone in it. . .Some more political food for thought folks :)

 

Lots of Love,

Kyla

About kylabg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.