Existing Member?

India.. . . My travels through India and teaching adventure in Lucknow

Vidyasthali

INDIA | Friday, 15 July 2011 | Views [867]

Nawab gates on way to Malihabad from Aminabad

Nawab gates on way to Malihabad from Aminabad

So on Wednesday, Urvashi needed to go to the village school, Vidyasthali,  to meet with some parents who are local mango farmers and some business professors from the University of Lucknow.  They are trying to organize a collective between the farmers and also have the older students get involved in order to learn more about the business side of mango farming.  Their hope is to not only empower the farmers and make their business’ more efficient, but also encourage students to consider the family business as a career versus something they need to “escape.” They need to think outside the box with mangoes in a sense because the crop only lasts for a couple of months, and the product doesn’t have a very long shelf life.  Also so many mangoes are produced in such a short amount of time the need isn’t there and so that gives the farmers even less of a bargaining edge.  Wow, I really wish I had paid more attention/taken economics so I could actually use the appropriate vocabulary when talking about all this.  Basically mango farmers, despite producing the most delicious fruit by far, aren’t in a cash crop business.  

 

Back to school, so I hitched a ride with Urvashi to check out the school.   Vidyasthali  or the village school is about a 45 minute drive outside the center of Lucknow.  It is essentially situated in the middle of a mango grove.  The mango trees, laden with fruit, create a beautiful canopied drive up to the school.  The initial part of the drive there was most interesting.  On our way we went through the “old” part of Lucknow.  The side streets are small enough only for pedal rickshaws.  There are fruit vendors lining the streets, people carrying goods on donkeys, and every now and again a cell phone store.  (India truly is a land of contradictions).  Most of the buildings are falling apart but some of the intricate Islamic architecture remains. Spots of blue and burnt sienna stucco with the most beautiful detail carved into the frames shine bright through the decay.  Urvashi was telling me that for such a poor country Indians are generally happy.  For example, the girls from Prerna have almost nothing, from an American viewpoint, to be thankful for.  They get beaten by their fathers, they have little or no food to eat, and yet I have never seen one of them look sad or downtrodden.  Sharp contrast to some of the underprivileged American youth I work with in Brooklyn.   Every Indian I have met has been most welcoming and truly excited to share whatever they can with you.  So the problem, Urvashi, says, is not innovation or spirit but organization.  “They just can’t seem to get it together.” 

 

Past the herds of water buffalo, tiny huts in one of which looked to me like a man was getting a shave, and mango trees lies the village school.  The students were even more friendly than the students at Study Hall.  The Class IX students took me to their class on break and pummeled me with questions about New York.  They were eager to hear about the big city, which doesn’t surprise me considering most of them come from 38 surrounding villages and it takes some at least one hour just to get to school.  I then “taught” a couple of the lower level classes, which was most difficult seeing as the students literally speak no English, so I use the term taught very loosely.  We’ll work it out somehow I suppose—miming, puppetry, whatever it takes!  Then I chatted with some of the teachers, I also use the term chat loosely because it was mainly me trying to piece together what they were saying in Hindi.  Luckily Indians gesticulate a lot, and throw in a few English words here and there, so I wasn’t at a complete loss. And so after a long day, it was with an armful of mangoes and well wishes that we made our way back to the center of Lucknow, tired and ready for some ahms (mangoes).  I’ll be working at the school two days a week (Monday and Tuesday) and getting my fill of mangoes!  I have to say Indian mangoes are by far the most delicious mangoes I have ever eaten!  I will be spoiled rotten when it comes to mangoes from now on.  J

I know women in India seems to be a running theme, but I just can’t help it!  The classes were evenly split between boys and girls from Class I through Class V, but as the students get older the amount of girls in those classes decreased dramatically.  Class X for example, only had one or two girls.  In a state where the Prime Minister is a woman it is interesting how devalued the average woman in Lucknow appears to be, food for thought. . .

About kylabg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.