Existing Member?

Wilson Family Travels Follow the Wilsons as they travel across Europe!

Carcassone

FRANCE | Monday, 10 March 2014 | Views [282]

Hello From Aix-en Provence:
 
    It’s Sunday evening and we’re trying to get back to normal.  We spent the better part of today in Nice, where Keaka had a hockey game.  And, we’re sending along a photo of Keaka in his Marseille jersey just after the game ended.
 
    Yesterday, on our return home from Toulouse, we stopped in Carcassone.  The stop was to see the medieval fortress.  It was brought to our attention when we saw a list of the 12 Most Important Sites to see in France and the Cite de Carcassone was on the list.  So, since we were driving by the city it seemed appropriate to make Carcassone our final stop on the Barcelona Trip.
 
    It was an absolutely beautiful day with the temperature around 70 degrees (as was the case again today), so there was a pretty good crowd visiting the fortress,  There’s plenty to learn about the fortress on-line, but let me simply say I saw it described as “the perfect medieval city”.  The fortress, sitting on a hill, was due to be torn down around 1850, but was eventually restored in 1853.
 
    The fortress is amazing, but it’s really a tourist attraction, with the typical tourist shops and any number of restaurants.  The photos pretty much reflect what it is all about.
 
    We were supposed to try cassoulet while we were in Toulose and didn’t get it done.  So, I had cassoulet for lunch in Carcassone.  It’s a stew-type dish of white beans, pork and sausage.  It was pretty basic, yet tasty and I enjoyed it.  It would not be that difficult to make.
 
    Everybody gets up early for school in the morning and Maurice gets returned.  So, life will really be back to normal.  Oh, we thought daylight savings time began today, only to find out that while that was true in the U.S., daylight savings time doesn’t begin in France until Sunday, March 30.  Can we try to make life just a little more complicated?
 
The Wilsons

 

               

About kwilson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.