Existing Member?

Wilson Family Travels Follow the Wilsons as they travel across Europe!

Barcelona #8

SPAIN | Wednesday, 5 March 2014 | Views [250]

Hello Again:
 
    The clock just passed midnight, so it is actually very, very early on Monday, March 3rd.  Marlene is packing, as we are trying to be on the road by 10:00 am, heading to San Sebastian over on the Atlantic Ocean.  Driving time is 5-1/2 hours, so it’ll take us seven hours.  It’ll be a change of pace, from the 5 million population of metro Barcelona to the less than 200,000 population of San Sebastian.
 
    This is just to let you know we made it to the FC Barcelona match this evening, which concluded less than one hour ago.  FC Barcelona has now played 26 matches and lost only three times, outscoring the opposition 54-to-21.  They played the 17th place team and won 4-1.  There were empty seats for the 9:00 pm Sunday battle.  I figure about 75,000-to-80,000 in the house.  There’s more to come on the football game, but it was one of those once in a lifetime events.
 
    When it comes to sports brands, I guess in North America it’s the New York Yankees.  For the rest of the world FC Barcelona rates at the top or very near the top.  I suppose Manchester United easily matches FC Barcelona, though Manchester United is having an off-season.  It was more than a match, it was an event.  The stadium seats somewhere just less than 100,000 and is probably twice as big in actual size as the Michigan football stadium, which seats 110,000.  This has to be the biggest or near the biggest sports structure in the world.
 
    We’re sending along a few preliminary photos to give you a quick glimpse of the experience, while it is still hot.
 
The Wilsons

 

       

About kwilson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.