Existing Member?

Wilson Family Travels Follow the Wilsons as they travel across Europe!

Marseille - 2nd Visit - #2

FRANCE | Saturday, 8 February 2014 | Views [1117]

Welcome Back To Marseille -
 
    So, I guess you’re waiting patiently for the photos of Marseille from high atop the hill that hosts Notre Dame de la Garde.  You won’t see these photos of Frances’ second most populated city just anywhere.  It was truly worthwhile to take the journey to the top of the hill.  A terrific church and breathtaking views.
 
    I pronounce Marseille as if it’s Mar-say.  Keaka informs me that is totally incorrect.  It something like Mah-r-say.  The “r” is barely caught.  I think it’s a case of my English accent versus his pretty good French accent.
 
    The other day I was standing with two other men and another man approached.  The other two men greeted the newcomer with “bon jour”.  I followed and swear I said “bon jour” exactly as the other two men.  I guess not, as the newcomer knew immediately that I was not French.  I guess I don’t have much of an ear for language.  The only reason the men did not kiss is because they were barely acquainted.  It doesn’t take much of a relationship for men to kiss each other on each cheek as they greet each other.
 
    As you view the photos, lots of light colored buildings in Marseille.  Marlene believes it’s due to all of the sandstone in the area.  No matter the reason, it’s fairly typical of warm weather, ocean side cities.  Marseille is on a bay in from the Mediterranean, with the downtown on the water looking west.  So, there is a north side, an east side, and a south side (where the money is and where the look like Southern California beaches are), which can’t really be seen from the church on the hill.  Mountains basically enclose the city.  Note the soccer field squeezed between a hillside and buildings in one photo.  The Marseille port (new port) primarily houses ferry boats headed to Corsica (a French island) and Tunisia.  Most of the commercial shipping is handled around the bend to the west, where the Rhone river flows into the Mediterranean.  Note the photo of the old port, which is now filled with pleasure craft (mostly sail boats) and see the ferris wheel at the far right end of the port.
 
    There are so many interesting aspects to life in France.  How about the size of paper.  I’m talking about the standard white paper you place in a printer.  Such paper in France is actually larger than in the United States.  The page is about one inch longer, which means that American printers can’t be used in France, as French paper will not fit into the paper tray.
 
    Speaking of pronunciations, I was preparing a sauce for a chicken dinner and needed sparkling cider.  So, I searched through the grocery store.  No luck.  I asked an employee where the “cider” was.  The French spell the word “cidre”.  I got a totally blank look.  I showed him the word on a piece of paper.  “Oh”, he said, ‘seed rah’”.  Good enough!  He showed me where the seedrah was and off I went.
 
The Wilsons

 

             

About kwilson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.