Existing Member?

Wilson Family Travels Follow the Wilsons as they travel across Europe!

Les Beaux

FRANCE | Monday, 27 January 2014 | Views [222]

Welcome To Another French Story:
 
    We went out this evening (Sunday) to have Chinese food in the old town section of Aix-en Provence.  We ended up in an Italian restaurant with Italian food, a French menu and the Vietnamese waiter who said he could speak English, which is very much in question.  Food average.  Menu like seemingly every menu in every restaurant.  Oh, the two Chinese restaurants we had scouted out were both closed.
 
    Marlene has us going to Villefranche Sur Mer tomorrow, which is a ritzy town immediately east of Nice.  Thus, I’d better give you a little flavor of Les Baux.  Les Baux is a medieval village, very much intact with folks still living there.  Our visit this past Friday was lonely, as there were few if any tourists.  The village is built on a hilltop 650 feet above the adjacent valley.  In the 11th century Les Baux was a powerful town in southern France.
 
    The view is magnificent, including a look down on a very nice house, which is not the norm or even seen very often in France.  Marz took a seat on the main entry road to the village, and, yes, cars travel on these streets.  Marz, somewhat windblown, posed in front of a side street.  There’s a window frame that looks old and it is.  It’s a 1571 Renaissance window frame, reflecting the Protestant history, as the words carved above the window are a Calvinist slogan.  There’s another shot that gives you an idea of this village.  The church is from the 12th century.  And, there’s a photo (it was getting dark) that might be able to give you an idea of how the village is situated on the hilltop.
 
    Did I remember to tell you earlier that the French do not send Christmas cards?  I think I may have.
 
    Oh yes, you have to pay to use a grocery cart around here.  They call them “chariots”, but I didn’t see Charlton Heston or Elizabeth Taylor (I hope I have the correct movie reference?).  And, you’d better bring your own grocery bags, as they charge for them, also.
 
The Wilson Family

 

             

About kwilson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.