Existing Member?

Wilson Family Travels Follow the Wilsons as they travel across Europe!

Pont du Gard #2

FRANCE | Thursday, 16 January 2014 | Views [245]

Hi Again:
 
    Just attempting to get as many Pont du Gard photos out there as possible.
 
    Since you’ve taken the time to open this, let me take the time to give you a few more tidbits.  Insight into France can’t be overrated.
 
    When we first arrived, back in late August, we were overwhelmed by mosquitos and flies.  Mosquitos really enjoyed our house, and we noticed the flies truly were enjoying local restaurants.  Of course, I suggested they were attracted by the food (what an aroma).  We were at one café/brassarie where Marlene and I were convinced there were two flies for each table in the establishment.  Fortunately, when some cold weather hit the mosquitos and flies moved elsewhere.  We can’t wait for their return.
 
    They have great oranges here.  If my memory is accurate, oranges aren’t all that flavorful this time of the year in the United States.  Oranges here come from Spain.  Wow, they’re great and have been since we arrived!
 
    Research is needed regarding lait.  That’s milk.  Now, I’ve always thought milk needed to be refrigerated and after a week or so it pretty well goes sour, even if refrigerated.  Here in France, you’ll see refrigerated milk (in white plastic bottles) near the checkout lines in a small display case.  Sort of like you usually see a container of cold soda in the same spot in a U.S. grocery store.  Then, back in the French grocery store you’ll see a huge section of white plastic bottles of milk and boxes of milk, simply on the shelf.  No refrigeration.  You might purchase a four-pack of warm milk and store three of them at home outside the refrigerator.  The “use by date” is about one year off.  What’s going on?  I simply don’t get it.  Our family seems to think the milk here is just fine.  I’m a chocolate milk only drinker and, unfortunately, I have not seen chocolate milk anywhere in Europe.  I guess chocolate milk is an American fat person phenomenon.
 
    More gems in the future.
 
The Wilsons

 

         

About kwilson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.