Existing Member?

Wilson Family Travels Follow the Wilsons as they travel across Europe!

Europe #3

SWITZERLAND | Sunday, 27 October 2013 | Views [1467]

Hi Again:
 
    Okay.  You have to be quick to keep up here.  I had 28 photos on Wilsons In Europe #2, which caused me some severe transmission problems.  I’m learning and sending a few photos at a time now.  So, here we go.
 
    It’s a rainy Sunday morning in Lake Como.  We’re here until tomorrow and then on to Milan, Venice and Nice on the way back to Aix-en Provence.
 
    Let’s back track.  After a couple of nights early last week in Geneva, we moved on this past Tuesday.  The drive from Geneva to Interlaken to Lucerne was terrific.
 
    Photos #1 – #3.  Interlaken is located between two lakes at the foot of some majestic alps.  I guess all alps are majestic.  You see a photo of Sophia and Keaka (at a relatively happy moment when they’re not arguing) with the alps behind them and then the alps alone, along with the historic hotel in town.

 

   

 
    Prior to reaching Interlaken, we went through the city of Spiez, Switzerland.  Wow!  We fell in love in a matter of minutes and are already talking about going back and staying there.  No photos, but one of those opportunities to Google it, get the story and maybe some photos on line.
 
    Photos #4 – #5.  It’s a shame that we couldn’t just stop everywhere we wanted to.  But, we did pull over at the end of one of many lakes with nothing but great surroundings.  Keaka was nice enough to model and we only wish the photo of the hillside homes could do justice to the reality and the brilliant green countryside that seems to be everywhere in Switzerland.

 

 

 
    We spent a couple of nights in Lucerne (Luzern).  I love trains and it was train heaven.  We stayed in a loft apartment less than a block away from the train station.  Not many cars in Lucerne, but lots of bikes, people on buses and using the trains to get to nearby towns and on to places like Zurich, Bern and Geneva.  They took the train station, much larger than one would expect for a town the size of Lucerne, and built underground shopping in front of it, including a department store and grocery store.  At ground level they have the start and end of most every bus route in town.  And, we did take a short train ride, the discussion of which will have to come next time we talk.
 
    Photos #6 – #10.  We have the Wilson family posing in front of the arch in front of the Lucerne train station and on the bridge over the end of the lake that the town is built around.  We do have four members of the immediate family on the trip, but we didn’t bring along a professional photographer.  It was a rainy day when we took some Lucerne photos, but it’s quite a place.  Bucherer is either a jewelry or watch company.  They have a few watches around Switzerland, to say nothing of some finely crafted jewelry.

 

       

 
    Again, we can only say good things about Switzerland.  It’s more like the United States than France or the very little bit we’ve seen of Italy.  Better food than France, to be sure.  Wider roads and cleaner (the Germans are at work).  Interestingly, and very generally, the French folks appear to be just like any group of Americans you would see, until they speak.  And, that was true in Geneva and that part of Switzerland.  In the German area of Switzerland there are many more blondes and folks with wire rim glasses.  You know they aren’t Americans.  And, moving south, many more dark haired folks and you get the idea you are among Italians, plus they tend to be slightly louder than the French or Germans.
 
    Lake Como is fabulous.  More later.
 
The Wilsons

About kwilson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.