Existing Member?

Kris & Chris & The World

Slacker

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 31 March 2009 | Views [337]

Its been over a year since I updated this blog! What a slacker. Anyway as I have decided that Bebo is just not good enough anymore, I have moved everything over to this new flashy site which friends I know use and it seems a lot better.

I've just re-read all my entries to make sure I didn't miss anything before I cancelled my Bebo registration. Its is pretty cool to go back and read everything I wrote about our South American adventure and our first year in the UK. It has also made me realise that we have changed quite a bit since we left NZ almost 2 years ago. I think sometimes I forget that I live in a foreign country because we have lots of friends here and we know what London life is all about now. But every so often I remember, for example in the supermarket yesterday I was at the fish counter wondering what the equivalent of Snapper was over here, took me ages to decide what to buy as I have no idea what the different types of fish are!

So what has happened in the year since I updated this...well....we went to Scotland for a week and loved it, before flying back to NZ to get new visa's - which took just over 6 months!!!!! We lived in Taupo with our friends and had a great time,we did a load os skiing and snowboarding, Chris broke his wrist mountain biking and as a result only worked 14 days in the whole time we were back, I cleaned toilets at a backpackers, we saw loads of our friends and family and stressed about whether we were going to get our visas or not (well I stressed...). Our visas came through and we decided to soak up as much of the summer as possible and I turned into a brown berry.

We came back to London at the end of January and are still in the process of sorting out our lives. Chris just got a great permanent job providing accounting services for Hedge Funds. He is enjoying it, and tells me that as far as number crunching goes its pretty awesome. So that is good. I am still looking for a job after being made 'redundant' from my last job a week before I was due to go back to it (bitter much!?). It reminds me of when we first arrived - Chris has gone into work and I am sitting around the house waiting for a job. I have had a little bit of temp work, but its definately a different place than when we left. Credit Crunch is not my favourite phrase thats for sure.

We are living with our friend Peter, which is great. In a really nice place which is bigger and better than the studio we were in last time. And occasionally we see foxes which makes me happy.

We arrived back in London in time for the big snow, which happened on my birthday so was pretty awesome, never had snow on my birthday before. We both had the day off so went and played in the park and made a huge snowman called Ted.

Its been so much easier this time around, well apart from the lack of work. We know how to live in London, and how to get stuff done. And its been really good to see all our friends again after 6 months away. Its also nice to be reunited with all my clothes and shoes as I had started to wonder if all my favourite things would be destined to stay in London while I was stuck in NZ!

Just need to find a job and everything will be back on track.

About kristinandchris


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.