Existing Member?

Kris & Chris & The World

Its a long way home

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 10 April 2008 | Views [346]

The last month has been pretty full on. I went home for Katie and Jason's wedding. I was so excited to be coming home for the first time in a year I could hardly sit still and stayed awake for over 30 hours before I finally got some sleep somewhere near Sydney. Chris stayed in London, so I was pretty nervous about making the huge journey by myself but it was fine.

I landed in Auckland and expected the tearful reunion with Mum and Dad only to come out of arrivals and not see them....so I waited.....rung them....then found them sitting in some chairs having not seen me come out. So no tearful reunion, but a pretty funny lovely one instead. The first thing that struck me when I came back to NZ was how nice the customs people were, and how smiley.

It was so good to be back at Mum and Dad's in Mangatangi and although it was a really long flight (well actually 3 long flights) it felt like I had snapped my fingers and suddenly I was home. The next night one of my oldest friends, Jade and her new husband came over for a BBQ. It was awesome to see Jade again, and goes to show that when you have been friends for that long you don't need to see each other all the time and the friendship is just as good as it always was.

I managed to get to Auckland to see another close friend, Sharon, and the same rule applied, it doesn't matter that we haven't spoken that much over the last year, we are still just as close as we were when I was in NZ.

And then onto the reason for the season, the lead up to Kate's wedding. I always knew that would be Kate's bridesmaid, but to actually be there was at time a little bit surreal. I am so happy that I could be there as it was a very special time in her life. The days before were pretty busy and before we knew it, it was the night before the wedding. I was sleeping in the same bed as Kate, so had planned a little speach that I would say when we went to sleep, and then
planned to wake her up with a huge 'Your getting married today!!!' but instead I was so knackered I feel asleep before she even came to bed, and woke up late and missed her in the morning. Needless to say felt like the useless bridesmaid.....but then again everyone knows I love my sleep!

Kate was a most beautiful regal bride, I couldn't believe here was my friend all in white and about to get married. I tried so hard not to cry during the ceremony and in fact managed to suck it up until it was time for their first dance and then I just had huge tears running down my face. And suddenly it was over and it was time to go home, I can't believe how fast weddings go - they just fly by. The next day i had to say goodbye and that was pretty hard, goes without saying I cried again.

Mum and Dad and I then headed to Chris's parents for a BBQ. It was great to see them, but I really wished that Chris could be there too as it was the first time they had seen me since we got engaged and also they haven't seen him for a year.

After that it was on to Wellington, where I managed to miss my train to Masterton (how unlike organised me!) and had to get Viv to rescue me (just like old times) and drive me half way while my Auntie drove the rest of the way and picked me up. It was brilliant to see her, and of course she made all my favorite chinese dishes and baked a lots of yummy things.

Being back in Wellington was kind of bitter sweet, it made me realise how much I miss living there. And after doing a fair bit of travelling in the last year, I can safely say there is no place like Wellington. It was cool to go back to Starfish and see all my old workmates, and of course pick up some new clothes! I had dinner with a load of friends, and it was great to see everyone, I wished I could have had longer though as I am sure I could have spent a whole night with each person and still not heard all their news.

But it was off again the next day to Queenstown to see my sister and little nephew Sam, who was only a few days old when I left and is now a one year old. He was quite sick so was in Invercargill hospital, which is where I saw him when he was born before I left. So now I have only ever seen my nephew in Invercargill hospital. But that is far better than not seeing him at all!!! He is so cute, and I was really sad to say goodbye.

So there you go, a pretty whirlwind two weeks, but I would do it again in a second. I have found it quite difficult coming back. I really miss everyone, and am feeling a bit homesick at the moment.

But, a nice way of getting over that is to pick up your new engagement ring! And also to go to a little town in Belgium for the weekend. Chris and I spent last weekend in Bruges (which is amusing as there is a movie out now with Colin Farrel in it called In Bruges). Bruges is a great place for a relaxing weekend, especially if you like beer and chocolate. Which I do. So we spent most of the weekend trying different beers, including a cherry one (yum) and one that was 10% alcohol (gross). We ate quite a few chocolates too. And also hired a tandem bike and went hooning around the streets for a few hours. It was a great way to see the town, and generally quite hilarious. And as you had to drive on the right side of the road, we often ended up going the wrong way down streets.

This weekend we are going to see Fat Freddy's Drop - another nice little reminder of home.

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.

About kristinandchris

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries


My trip journals



Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.