Existing Member?

Kris & Chris & The World

Its Christmas....but not as we know it

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 6 January 2008 | Views [302]

Happy New Year!!! 2007 was quite possibly the best year of my life. We've just come back from skiing in Tignes in France which brings the country count for this year up to 12!

We spent Christmas with Meraud, Anna, Tim and some other waifs and strays on the side of a mountain in the French Alps. It was a really fantastic resort and I have never seen so much snow in all my life! Was really beautiful and definately a white Christmas. We arrived on the Sunday before Christmas and spent a week there. On Christmas morning, Chris and I went skiing and had a Christmas snack at a restaurant on the top of a peak. It was pretty cool for our first Christmas together, but I was pretty sad on Christmas Eve as I missed my family terribly. At midnight the first few bars of When The Saints Come Marching Home played out across the resort, that definately cheered me up a little bit. On Christmas day we had a big feast of roast chicken and vegetables and we made it as festive as possible with christmas crackers and secret santa - I got a plastic chicken and Chris got a flying monkey. It was really cool to be around other kiwis who were all missing home and even more fun because can you really complain when you are in France!?

We spent each day out on the ski fields and i am glad to say I got the hang of it! I had only been once before at primary school and couldnt remeber more than a snow plough to stop. Chris gave me a few pointers (Commit to your turns!!!) and by the third day I had graduated from the beginers slope (green) to ones that were a bit harder (blue) but did get rather freaked out on the red runs. Chris is, as you would expect really good so left me to it for most of the week, so I was glad when Meraud and I started doing runs together as its better to have someone of hang out with! Most days after skiing I would head up to the local supermarket and buy a baguette and some cheese and have a little feast. A french stick in France - you can't beat it!!!

I managed to catch some of Meraud's flu germs and by the end of the week was feeling prettty sick, but kept putting it off each day so I could get out there. On the last day I skied for about 7 hours. At the begining of the week I had said I would like to do one day without falling over and do the first blue run chris had taken me on without falling over (I had smashed into a bank on the first attempt and just plain fell over about 5 times). On the last day I fell over once on the slopes and once in the toilets - by slipping on some water and steadying myself by hitting my face on the side of a door....but I did manage to do the blue run twice and didnt fall over at all!!! I was stoked.

Once we got back to London my cold kicked in and I spent most of New Years Eve in bed...pretty quiet way to see the new year in, but am sure it is not a sign of things to come!

Next stop - New York, Toronto and Paris - can't wait.

About kristinandchris


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.