Existing Member?

Kris & Chris & The World

Nazca, Peru

PERU | Sunday, 8 April 2007 | Views [209]

Just sitting by the pool waiting to go to a traditional type dinner which sounds just like a hangi...should be good. But about an hour to wait so we are all trying to kill time.

Up early again this morning for our flight over the Nazca Lines, it was pretty mind blowing. they are huge big shapes on the desert floor, triangles and straight lines, a monkey, a whale, a tree, hands and astronaut....they are apparently 2000 years old. And the whole mystery is what are they for.....not sure, but they were worth the early morning start and the flight. the whole town of Nazca survives on tourism and so they are great at their tours and encourage you to tell everyone to visit.

We also went to a cemetary, and saw actually mummies in the desert with hair still on them and everything, was kind of erie but interesting to learn about the burial traditions of the Nazca.

Also visited a potter to see them make the traditional pottery, was interesting, but the funniest thing was the potter who was big and jolly and would crack jokes.

Going to Arequipa tonight and it will be the first step up in altitude. Hopefully that all goes well. We are going to learn how to chew coca leaves!
Should be interesting....

About kristinandchris


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.