Existing Member?

Krista's Travels

Cairns and Vicinity

USA | Friday, 5 December 2008 | Views [437] | Comments [1]

Fish at the Great Barrier Reef

Fish at the Great Barrier Reef

Howdy all! I've been WWOOFing since November 26 with weekends to play, so this installment will address the playing and I'll summarize my WWOOFing after this stint is done on December 11. I explored tropical rainforests, did a boat trip to snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef, visited an aboriginal cultural center near Cairns, and and currently exploring the Atherton Tablelands waterfalls and lakes. The reef trip was fab because we went to a caye that is an amazing birding locale. 20,000 to 40,000 birds at one time on a very very tiny island with not even a tree on it. We had access to a small piece of the beach (the rest is protected). So I have amazing memories of snorkeling after a school of big white fish and bobbing my head up to see and hear swarms of noisy birds just over my head, then back down to the white fish, amazing experience! I enjoyed the cultural center, learning to throw a boomerang and spear, learning about the aboriginal bush foods, and watching a firemaking demo (hand drill, basically). I loved the little tourist trap of Kuranda high up in the rainforesty hills, and the skyrail trip down from there over and through the rainforest treetops. Cairns itself was hot and muggy but I just used it as a base anyhow. My host took me to see Australia (the new movie that is all the rave here) and I enjoyed it. Very hollywoody, however! I'm looking forward to the next couple days of enjoying this nice backpacker lodge in Yungaburra and joining in on trips to waterfalls, lakes, and bikerides, as well as the required platypus spotting. Lots of love to all my dear ones out there!  

Comments

1

I loved the picture of you with the koala! Your trip and experiences sound wonderful so far. Watch out Rick Steves.

  Lyn Dec 6, 2008 8:51 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.