Existing Member?

Krista's Travels

Hervey Bay to Mission Beach

USA | Tuesday, 25 November 2008 | Views [518] | Comments [6]

Billabong Sanctuary, Townsville

Billabong Sanctuary, Townsville

I am currently staying at a place called "The Sanctuary" near Mission Beach, about an hour and a half south of Cairns. The place was built high above the ocean (great views) and we stay in an open air (screened in) hut with two beds. The rainforest is all around and it's quite noisy at night! Beautiful, though, and a good place to relax for a few days.
 
Since my time in Hervey Bay (the gateway to Fraser Island), I have been travelling with a friend who I met there, who happens to have a rental car and a good sense of humor for my crankiness in the heat. It's been much nicer than the train or greyhound and I've seen many things I wouldn't have otherwise. Along the way we 1) toured the rum distillery in Bundaberg (not too exciting, other than their coffee/chocolate/rum liqueur which was incredible but they don't sell small bottles and you can't get it anywhere but at the distillery); 2) ate kangaroo steak, self grilled slice by slice on a hot stone (delectible, the best meat I have EVERY tasted in my entire life!!); 3) drove up to Eungella National Park to look for platypus in the river (saw them!) and stayed in a lodge there with a gorgeous view; 4) Stayed in Airlie Beach for two days and did a one day snorkle/beach/boat trip in the Whitsunday Islands (we coudln't go tot eh world-famous Whitehaven Beach because the seas were too rough that day to go that side); 5) spend a day on Magnetic Island, rented a "moke", cute little vehicle, to cruise around the gorgeous rocky/forested island, check out the pretty little beaches and bays, and hike to "the forts" to look for Koala (success! even saw a mom with baby!); 6) visit Billabong Sanctuary to get a bit more up close with the wildlife, a really pleasant place to spend a few hours; and now 7) stay 2 days at the Sanctuary rainforest retreat to soak up some green and shade after a lot of hot driving. This morning we visited a place called Paranella Park, an anomaly, a beautiful grounds of stone castles and stairways and thousands of species of plants, created as a spaniard's vision and lifelong dream in the 1930s or so. It's a beautiful place and feels much older than it is, as the buildings are crumbling and broken from several floods, fires, and cyclones over the years.
Tomorrow we head north again and Marissa drops me off at Innisfail to meet up with my next WWOOF hosts after this whirlwind tour up the coast. I hope it will be cooler in the Atherton Tablelands (1000 meters above sea level) but have heard that it's been hot there too. I suppose I'll be getting up at 5am so I can start my gardening by 6am and get it over with before the heat of the day!

Comments

1

Hey Krista,

Sounds like you're having a good time down there! I want to hold a Koala!

Your CAi buddy,
Brett

  Brett Shattuck Nov 26, 2008 5:16 AM

2

Hi Aunt Krista,
I got the postcard and at Gramma's house I got to see you in the picture with the koala bear. The koala bear was cute.
Hope you're having fun & I miss you.
Love,
Justin

  Justin Nov 28, 2008 3:48 PM

3

Hiya Justin!
Thanks for the message! Glad you got the postcard. I found you an awesome Christmas present today so I hope I can get it in the mail in time for Christmas!
I love you,
Aunt Krista

  kristamrome Nov 29, 2008 7:46 PM

4

Hi Krista...thanks for the lovely postcard! Will's interest was immediately piqued, what with the white sand beach and aquamarine waters. I really love your site....a great way to stay in touch and hear about your travels and share your gorgeous photos. It's a nice escape in the midst of our Northwest gloom. Rain, rain go away.... We both wish we were there although it sounds rainy, too. I don't care about the temperature, I just want to see SUN! Anyway, will be in touch later, dear friend. Stay well and happy! Love, Joanne and Will

  Joanne and Will Dec 4, 2008 8:16 PM

5

Hey Sis. Looks like you are having a grand ole time. Wish I was there. Miss you tons. Brice says hello "kista" and that he "loves you". Talk to you later.
Kelli

  Kelli Dec 5, 2008 9:39 AM

6

Hi Krista,
Love hearing about your adventures! Wow - not only strange, interesting animals and birds, but also new exotic vegetation. I'm jealous that you got to hold a koala bear. I'm putting that on my "bucket list" along with seeing a penguin and a puffin in the wild.
Love, Diane & Rich

  Diane Dec 8, 2008 3:47 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.