Existing Member?

Europe or BUST I am going to Iceland for 21 days on a volunteer expedition in east Iceland, actually. I will be donating my time to do organic farming with my workcamp. After that I will be on my own to backpack around Europe. Feel free to send me messages !

Oslo, Norway 2012

NORWAY | Sunday, 5 August 2012 | Views [595]

We made it to Oslo, Norway via Stenaline ferry this afternoon around 6:30pm.  Chris and I partied the night before and made some new friends in Aarhus, but we were hurting this morning when we woke up to catch our train to Frederikshavn, Denmark.  We caught the Stenaline ferry at 10:00am, immediately went to our cabins and laid our heads down to rest for a few hours.  OMG there were soo many *screaming* kids on the ferry, it was the perfect antidote to my raging hangover :-/ 

We arrived to Oslo, Norway about 6:40pm tonight, our friend Anders met us and escorted us to his house.  We'll be staying with him until Monday.  Anders cooked up the best dinner tonight: fresh Norwegian salmon, mushrooms, carrots, and onions in a red wine sauce, and the best potato salad in the world ! Afterwards he treated us to coffee, Irish-Creme ice cream and fresh strawberries : ) 

Today (Saturday) we woke up around 10:30am, Anders prepared yet another delicious meal for us for breakfast, and we all soon set off to begin today's activities.  First we went to the Gustav Vigeland Park, a giant green park filled with impressive statues (click here to see the statues).  After that we journeyed onward to pick up some items for an outdoor BBQ for all three of us, then we boarded a ferry to which took us to an island not far from the Oslo harbor.  There we enjoyed the warm beautiful weather, the refreshing breeze, and great food from the BBQ.  It was sooo hot outside ! See? it's not all freezing cold : ) 

We've returned to Andres's apartment, now we're going to take a nap before we go out to meet some folks for drinks later.   

Last night was pretty fun.  We met up with two friends of mine whom I met in 2009 here in Oslo at Et Glass bar, had a few drinks there and headed over to some other place, I forget the name.  Time for a time out on the drinkies ! 

Today (Sunday) we will be heading to the Oseberg Viking Ship Museum (photos) and also the Vigeland Mausoleum (photos).  It's another bright and sunny morning here in Oslo, Norway. I really love this country.  Not sure what else we're doing this afternoon, probably just walk around.  

Well we didn't actually just walk around, we nailed a few museums today, like the Vigeland Mausoleum (photos), Norwegian Historisk Museum, the NasjonalGalleriet (photos), and the Oseberg Viking Ship Museum (photos).  The Vigeland Mausoleum is quite a wonder, it's a huge half pipe with the most AMAAAAZING acoustics inside.  We were instructed to be as silent as possible, as the ashes of August Emanuel Vigeland are inside and it is a place of respect.  Read a description about the mausoleum here.  

We saw some original paintings by Pablo Picasso and Edvard Munch at the NasjonalGalleriet Museum, and probably the most Viking shit I've ever seen in my life at the Norwegian Historisk Museum.  Thereafter we ventured onward to the Oseberg Viking Ship Museum, I've been once before but it was Chris and Anders's first time visiting.  Read a description about the Oseberg Viking Ship Museum here.

Anders cooked up another delicious dinner for us this evening (he's such a fantastic host, I tell ya!), we watched a Norwegian movie called 'The Troll Hunter'.  Well, we're in for the evening, I'm totally spent, my body is punishing me for not allowing myself to rest.  Til next time, or tomorrow...

 

 

Travel Answers about Norway

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.