Existing Member?

Europe or BUST I am going to Iceland for 21 days on a volunteer expedition in east Iceland, actually. I will be donating my time to do organic farming with my workcamp. After that I will be on my own to backpack around Europe. Feel free to send me messages !

Day 2 - Stockholm, Sweden - cold today..

SWEDEN | Tuesday, 6 October 2009 | Views [626]

What a cold day.  I don't even own a winter jacket.  Infact, I just splurged and bought a pair of gloves in Oslo, but no winter jacket? I'm making it by with just a hoodie, a thermal undershirt and my wool Iceland longsleeve, so far so good.  When I head to Germany I'll pick up some winter stuff because as far as I know, and what I've been told' is Germany is cheap for Americans.  

Last night I didn't sleep that well in mixed room hostel that I shared with 12 other people.  It was kind of ridiculous.  People think I snore badly? oh my god these other people put me to shame.  I had a dream that Bob Marley wanted to sacrifice me to Jah.  WTF? So it was my first time at a hostel, yeah yeah..I'm stubborn, need my own space, etc...

But it's also starting to become a little bit lonely traveling by myself with no one familiar to me from back home.  Hostels are the way to go if you want to meet people who are in the same boat as you, or in this case, me. 

I checked into the Backpackers City Hostel in Stockholm today, DIRT CHEAP ! and it's also not bad !

The day started off rough, on the wrong foot, and my mood was sour.  I couldn't find the hostel this morning, even though I was following iPhone's map service, it was hard to tell where I had to go without using the Data Roaming feature.  When I finally found the effin' place I think they could sense that I was in a shitty mood.  They gave me free chocolate and an orange to make me happy, that actually worked .. hehe :-)

I took the hostel's bike out for 2 hours (the first 2 hours are free) and rode around a small portion of Stockholm.  It was cold today so I didn't stay out for very long.  Infact I am so exhausted from traveling so much that all I want to do is just absolutely nothing for a day or two and rest up.  Still, I'm not spending as much money as I thought. 

I took my time today to walk around my hostel area but I didn't wander too far, I'm so tired.  I found Lidl, the closest thing to Netto I'll ever find and bought my lunch and dinner there, enough to last me for 2 days.  I believe it will take me at least a week to explore Stockholm to the farthest extent, and as Kevin Ross Hannah said to me, "take your time, enjoy life".  It's true, I'm a fast mover and I prefer to be on the go after a few days as I can become bored or rather anxious if I stay in any one place for too long.  But I really think I should stay in Stockholm for just a week or a little more this time.  It's too bad I left Oslo early, if I did my research more thoroughly I probably could have stayed a little longer, cheaply.

Anyway, I'm opening up a little more at the hostel, talking to the other travelers who are staying here.  I'm shy at first, hard to believe ? it's true, especially in strange unfamiliar settings.  The people here are nice, two girls recommended a few places in Berlin for me to visit that would be of particular interest.  I made myself a nice dinner of salt and pepper honey chicken, broccoli and pasta; the pasta is free at the hostel woohoo !

So anyway, I need to take my Nyquil and pass out.  Good night ya'll.

 

 

Travel Answers about Sweden

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.