Existing Member?

South America

Bus Huancavelica to Ayacucho to Cusco

PERU | Saturday, 12 January 2008 | Views [3260]

This 4am bus was terrible... the aisle was literally packed to the brim with people (and the odd lamb). Luckily I had booked a seat, but I had people practically sitting on me anyway. Noticed that nobody else with an aisle seat was getting the same treatment, so that´s what happens when you´re a gringa in Peru.

When the sun rose, the scenery again was very nice, it was the Peruvian Andes as I had imagined. And yay, a bit of snow too.

Ayacyucho is a very nice city. The buildings in the central area reminded us a bit of Cuenca Ecuador actually. If we had time we would have stayed longer. Hostal Samary has a nice rooftop view.

But onward to Cusco. Long ride from Ayacucho to Cusco.. 20 odd hours. This time the road was windy, unpaved, thin and on the edge for many hours. Thrilling! although not recommended if you´re afraid of heights. Bus driver was a bit of a racing car driver wannabe. But alas we made it to Cusco safe and sound.

At Cusco bus terminal, you get paprazzi-ed by people who want you to stay at their hostel. Getting off a 20 hour ride at 4 in the morning, you almost want to punch them. But we ended up staying at Albany Hotel who was offering $10US pp for a double with cable, bathroom and breakfast. I was had at cable lol.

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.