Existing Member?

South America

Pucara, Intag, Ecuador

ECUADOR | Friday, 2 November 2007 | Views [1382] | Comments [4]

So I spent a couple of weeks in a small town (so small I could hardly find it on maps) called Pucara, in a ruggedly mountainous region called Intag. I stayed with the Flores family, Eladio, Consuelo and their 4 sons Cristian, Dennis, Rommel and Carlito. They and their extended family were very hospitable. They took us (myself and some other volunteers) to local hot springs, waterfalls, sunday market, and Jaime took us on extraordinary forest hike in the mountains to collect hanging vines (can´t remember the name) which his wife uses to make baskets etc. He decided to take short cuts and went THROUGH.. as in cutting the path with a machete. It felt like those native jungle docos you see on tv. So much work goes into these products and it´s unfortunate that families producing these baskets etc only get a few cents or dollars for them.

So the living was semi rustic.. I slept on a hard bed and shared the room with a REALLY irritating mouse rat thing that made scratching noises under my mattress. I was so sure it was going to gnaw it´s way through and eat me alive. The shower is a shower head outside connected to a hose. No walls.. not even a bush like in the islands. Mountains on one side and the kitchen window on the other. Didn´t want to ask how that worked. Luckily I heard about the house up the road which had a comparitively luxurious hot water shower so I traded a $1 bottle of disgustingly potent alcohol called Puro (locals call it Jugo de Intag - juice of Intag) for use of their shower. Consuelo fed me well and I was served huge portions of food. Plenty of fresh fruit and veg again, and hot fresh milk which I´m getting a bit attached to.

While in Intag I became addicted to crocheting. I worked with a local material called cabuya which is rough and a bitch to weave. The local shop owner (of the only shop in Pucara) taught me and for three days I sat on her shop porch weaving like an old lady. It turned out to be a very interesting place to sit because the locals all like to come there for a gossip. So I ended up greeting most the locals.. in the country you say Buenos Dias etc to EVERYBODY and shake their hand.

Oh yeah, and I got to eat the Ecuadorian speciality.... cuy (guinea pig)!

Cristian, Dennis, Carlito and Rommel

Cristian, Dennis, Carlito and Rommel

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Hi! I was googling Pucara and your blog came up. I am heading there on June 15th to stay for a month and it sounds like you had a really good time. Thanks for writing about it! Is there anything you think I should know before going or things that you wish you had brought?
I have a couple of questions for you about the village if you don't mind:
1. Is the village pretty safe? Where did you leave your valuables (Extra cash and passport)
2. What was the food like?
3. Did you take a gift for your host family?
4. (Just for fun) Are there a lot of kids around?
Thanks! Can't wait to hear from you. I am very excited :)

  Claire Jun 4, 2009 2:24 AM

2

Hi Claire,

  Koleta Jun 4, 2009 6:05 PM

3

Hi Claire,
Pucara itself is a small community, but the area of Intag is large, hilly (steep hills, windy roads) and very beautiful. It felt quite safe but I stayed with a host family who were well known in the community. I was also quite scared of walking home by myself in the dark because there were no street lights.. just my torch.. so I only did that once! I always kept valuables on me in a body pouch wherever I went in South America, but the family gave me a lockable room so I kept things in there (in a locked backpack) when we went swimming etc. The food was fresh (grown on the family's property) and plentiful, cooked in a not so clean kitchen so I hope your stomach is up for it by now. Guinea pig (special treat) was from the family farm, killed, cooked and eaten right away. I didn't initially plan to be there so I didn't have a gift from home ready.. so before I left my host family, I gave whatever I could from my luggage and also went shopping for a whole bunch of essentials (flour, batteries, toilet paper etc..) as well as treats for the kids (naughty lollies and chocolates etc..). There is a local school (which I think takes volunteers) so yes, plenty of kids around. Locals also like to play volleyball near the shop (one school, one shop). The community is quite social (had a community dance while I was there) and the nearest major town holds a market every week and also has a coffee factory. If you are going as part of a volunteer opportunity and will be staying with a host family things will be much easier.. and they will most definitely show you around the Intag area. Sometimes there are a few other volunteers in the area doing different things (organic farming, bear tracking). Most travel was undertaken standing (sometimes for a couple of hours) in the back of a truck, most times squashed from picking up the rest of the family and whichever locals along the road hailed the truck. You need to hang on tight because the roads are VERY bumpy! But the views and the fresh air is worth it! If you speak spanish well then you will have a great experience because the locals LOVE visitors! They love to talk and love to show you their beautiful Intag (that was probably the only downside for me.. not being able to communicate as much as I wanted to due to lack of spanish ability). Very friendly place, very laid back.
Well all the best and I hope you really enjoy yourself there!
Koleta

  Koleta Jun 4, 2009 7:06 PM

4

Hi! Im actually planning on going to San Antonio in Ecuador and I will be doing it with the program "intagtour.com" i was wondering if that was the same program you volunteered for?

  Aiste Dec 20, 2009 7:27 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.