Existing Member?

Wide Eyed Wander-Ment Queensland attack....From Brizzie to the Gold Coast..living in he moment.

Day 2

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 11 September 2013 | Views [311]

Nutshell...Sunrise 5am 

25 min beach run in one glorious southerly direction.

Breakfast at local cafe avocado egg croissant.  Atchia, the barista, schools me on best local hangs and tattoo shop in Burleigh 

40 min walk along beach back to apartment.

Change into wet gear and head to first surf lesson.

hang ten for 1.6 ....seconds and feel like a rockstar. Shane is a great instructor and Katie and Breighton are fun to learn with. 

Two hours later walk the beach a few kilometers back to one base where Glen, my AirBNB host, let's me know that there is homemade pasta bolognaise in the fridge for my consumption.

Eat a pbj and pass out for thirty.

hop on bike and head to Woolworths in the local mall to get water, shampoo and a shaver

the indoor outdoor shopping center is quite different than our American malls. Outside are many cafes and restaurants, then walk in and see clothing shops and a meat market, a bakery , the chemist and finally, Woolworths. Woolworths is a grocery store and reminds me of a smaller version of Kroger With half as many options. It's refreshing to see items in smaller portion sizes and less variety bombardment. The grocery says to me "hey we have just enougH here for you. We don't need to bribe you to suck you in"

back to Glen's for good conversation on surfing terminology and Aussie and American slang. 

To top it all off Glen asks me if I eat pancakes......he then proceeds to make them from scratch and he tells me he typically eats it with ice cream and maple syrup.  He pulls out homemade strawberry Jam and we chat and laugh and clean our plates. 

Off to bed.

 

About knoxknoxrocks


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.