Existing Member?

Reality revealed

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 17 April 2012 | Views [272] | Scholarship Entry

I feel more fulfilled with the experiences I have & wanted to explore what other parts of this world can bring. I was born in the Philippines with Chinese descent. Philippines may not be the best country of developments but there are numerous things that the country has. Being in Korea has made me realize pros & cons of developed &developing nations.
Traveling alone in wherein I can hardly communicate was the main challenge. I volunteered in a mountain province in Jeolla Region. It was an ecological trip with majority Korean volunteers. Mt. Jiri-where green fields overpowers everything. I was surprised, residents have modern appliances. Thanks to the New Village Movement by former Pres.Park ChungHee. I felt bad they have to work hard even if they are old& hunchbacks. I see them smile when we helped, it gives me a sweet relief &fulfillment.
Korean mothers prepare food, which literally filled up the whole table. I felt a pain ticking but touched–the priceless love &care of a mother. I wanted to show my appreciation so I yelled “Mother, this is delicious”. In Korean, there is an honorific way to speak to elderly. I used the opposite. I became a laughter & was featured in TV. This experience urged me to learn Korean. Cooking& preparing food need wisdom. The appetizers that they prepare are mostly fermented. This has to do with the 4 seasons as they preserve food for the next non harvesting seasons.
I volunteered in Jeju Island. We heard hushes of the waves, refreshing&light, I heard a speaker in a truck saying, “We buy dogs”. South Korea is now an advanced nation but customs cannot be changed with advancement. For non Koreans,this may be disgusting but it has a deeper root. Korea was a poor country before. Cow was an important animal since it helped in farming. Pork was also expensive. They eat dogs,chicken,eggs to get nutrients since they have them in their backyard.
Our perspective would be different when we understand.This would deepen our knowledge about this world.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About kmac1047


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.