Existing Member?

Everywhere and Everywhere else Who says that the adventure stops once you have kids?

On our way to Argentina

BOLIVIA | Sunday, 18 November 2007 | Views [597]

How to travel with children

How to travel with children

The wake up call came at four fifteen and we were down and on our way by five AM. La Paz was already awake; stands were already open for business, lines were being formed, traffic and pedestrians were already clogging the streets.

Everyone was very tired. Our last day in Bolivia was quite busy. The girls got in the last minute shopping and JN was …. preparing his lecture for the Agronomic University in La Paz! When we first got here, JN wandered down to the University and got in contact with some fellow researchers. After talking shop, they offered that he give a lecture.  

 That is how he found himself on a Friday night in a packed auditorium giving a lecture on “Integrated pest management.” Three hours later (um, due to the simultaneous translation from English to Spanish, his hour and a half lecture seemed to go on a bit…) the students were still there asking questions.

Meanwhile, I took SB to a Capoeira practice. Capoeira is a Brazilian sport that was created by slaves who back in colonial times were not allowed to train to fight. Set to music, the sport consists of pantomiming fighting and is quite acrobatic. Philippe is active in a local club and they even gave a demonstration at Philippe’s wedding. When we asked Ryan what did he like best about Bolivia, he says, “the exercising” meaning the Capoeira, of course.

SB was fixated in place watching the back flips, the handstands and the close calls. At one point he couldn’t contain himself anymore and he got up and started doing his own moves. He wanted to stay until the end. Christiane said that there is a club in Toulouse, I might look into it when we get back.

We got to the airport before six and there was already a mass of people. I started to get winded again. At 4050 meters, the oxygen was thin. Check-in was smooth and after a long breakfast (our flight was at 8:30) we were on our way.

So started another long day of travel with a little one. Just before boarding, JN asked for the camera and went off with SB, you will have to check out the photo gallery to find out another way to amuse a small child in an airport…..

The hotel we were planning on staying at in Buenos Areas is full so we will see where we will sleep tonight. My sister-in-law’s ex, “Chubbie” now lives here and we will try to see him. We are all looking forward to eating some more good steaks!           

Tags: on the road

 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.