Existing Member?

Everywhere and Everywhere else Who says that the adventure stops once you have kids?

Everything you want to know about Bolivian doctors….

BOLIVIA | Sunday, 11 November 2007 | Views [1313] | Comments [2]

For you, dear reader, I took it upon myself to test the local medical assistance just in case you were hesitating on coming here for a visit. Well, I didn’t plan it this way, but I thought I could share my experience with you. As the gory details of my sickness really are of interest only for my doctor and me, let’s just say that I had food poisoning. The medicines that I brought for things coming up or gushing out were just not strong enough. Lucky for me, I was not traveling alone and someone had the wise decision to call for a doctor, as I was incapacitated in my bed.

Dr. Castillo and nurse showed up at my hotel room a short time after they were called. After a very thorough examination and questions translated from Spanish to French, the doctor pronounced that I had an infection and he saw two solutions: either a two day stay in a clinic with a perfusion (I was very dehydrated at that point) OR I could have a shot to at least stop the vomiting and take antibiotics and stay in my hotel room. I opted for the second option.

I was having a hard time staying awake but I did ask questions about the needle. Alejandra assured me that it would be sterile.  The doctor left and went with his nurse TO THE PHARMACY to get the medicine I would need. When he came back, another nurse came too to give me my injection. JN inspected the wrapping and assured me that it was sterile. After a half an hour, I felt better could sip water without throwing up.

Dr. Castillo gave me a long list of medicine to take and said that he would check up on me in the days to come. All for the cost 350 Boliviano for the house call 82 Boliviano for the medicine. (65 dollars) … well worth the price as I am now able to write this.

Tags: doctors, hospitals & health

Comments

1

Il fallait aussi que tu testes les médecins !
Tu es vriament une voyageuse très professionnelle.
J'espère que tout va bien
Bisous
Annie

  annie Nov 12, 2007 5:32 AM

2

etait il un beau bolivien au moins ce medecin??

bon courage!
laurence

  laurence Nov 12, 2007 6:13 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.