Existing Member?

Nicholas & Kathryn go AWOL

The rest of Scotland

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 15 August 2009 | Views [341] | Comments [1]

I love Scotland!!!! Since Edinburgh we drove to Inverness for three nights, went in search of the Loch Ness Monster, but she wasn't out that weekend. So instead we climbed Ben Nevis, the highest peak in Britain. At 1340m high we thought we'd give it a crack. It was not too bad on the way up, a bit foggy but that's about it. After 3.5hrs climbing we reached the summit to more fog and horizontal rain and wind! Quickly ate a sandwich and bolted back down he mountain in 2hrs! Such a great sense of achievement though. After our weekend with Alex in Inverness Nicholas and I drove for John O' Groats, whose claim is they are the most north easterly town in mainland Britain... From there we caught the ferry to Orkney Islands and did a day tour, which was really god, and learnt a lot about the wartimes there and the Churchill barriers that were built in the 40's. Also about the neolithic stone villages that are about 4000BC. Very cool. From there we drove over the top of Scotland and down the Western Highlands into the Isle of Skye where we camped for two nights. The scenery is simply breathtaking over here, the mountains, water and trees, gotta love those trees. We did a distillery tour on Skye at Talisker which was good to see how it gets produced, and in such large quantities too! Today we caught two ferries with the car to get us across to the Isle of Mull. The ferry rides combined took no longer than about 30 mins! We are staying in a quaint town called Toblermory for two nights. Went for a nice walk tonight up to the waterfall and then dinner at an Italian restaurant. The walks here are great, would be a load better if it would just stop raining!! Hence why we only did three nights camping, having a couple of nights off in a B&B then camping again. And the midgees here are so tiny you can't see them coming, you only notice when your face is being bitten, yes they bite everything! Back to Edinburgh on Wednesday evening, the Edinburgh Military Tattoo is on Thursday then it's off to Portugal.....to the sun!!!!

Comments

1

I got home from work today... and found a postcard from Edinburgh hidden amongst mail for you in my letterbox! Thanks heaps - you know how much I love my postcards!!!!!

  Becs Aug 19, 2009 11:23 PM

About kiwi_kids


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.