Existing Member?

Nicholas & Kathryn go AWOL

Edinburgh

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 7 August 2009 | Views [261]

We have been in Edinburgh for 8 nights staying at Alex's flat on Viewforth. It has been such a relaxing week in such a beautiful city. Having lived in Dunedin we were both spun out by the number of similarities between the two cities, most importantly the street names! Dunedin has copied pretty much every street name and has even tried to copy the lay out! During our week here we went on a free guided tour which we definitely recommend anyone does around Europe. They are called New Europe. We climbed Arthurs Seat and the Scott Monument and got awesome 360 views of Edinburgh. We also went to Edinburgh Castle and down the royal mile to check out Holyrood Palace which is where the Queen stays when she is in Scotland. At Edinburgh castle we saw the Stone of DESTINY, yes it is really called that and this lump of sandstone is kept in the vault with the crown jewels. The stone is used when a Queen or King is coronated. It represents the land and the people therefore connecting the monarch to the people of Scotland (originally) but now all of Britain. We watched the rugby last Saturday at the Walkabout Pub (Aussie pub) with some Aussie friends we met on our Ireland tour. Won't go into details of the game, we all know how appauling the game was!! Went to Rhys Darby live last night, he was hillarious, laughed so hard I could barely breath! For those that don't know who I am talking about watch Murray from Flight of the Conchords. Off to Inverness today with Alex, climbing Ben Nevis tomorrow, the highest peak in Britain at approx 1300m. Then we'll try and find Nessie somewhere in the Loch.

About kiwi_kids


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.