Existing Member?

Our Adventure!

This isn't Nam, there are rules!

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 26 January 2011 | Views [935]

VIETNAM...

A 24 hour journey on some seedy buses has landed us in Hanoi. The ride was a little rough, although the border crossing was rather easy. Once in Vietnam a man boarded the already crowded bus & was doing a lousy job at concealing a machine gun under his jean jacket!!  That had Ben going for a while. Was he going to hijack the bus? Was he going to rob everybody?   I was calmer, only because I had a close call a few years back in Laos when some locals robbed a “VIP” bus but left the local bus we were riding, alone.  To Ben’s relief, he got off the bus.  It was odd & worth mentioning.

We arrived in Hanoi first thing, checked into a hostel & sat in a cafe with the morning fog overlooking the lake for croissants & tea.  Hanoi was the busiest city.  The traffic alone stressed us out.  Crossing the street is an art.  As per the advice of an Irishman we met back in China, don’t hesitate, don’t bolt, don’t dodge...  Just walk very slow & steady.  It is intimidating at first, but put faith in your stride, & you should come out unscathed on the other side!  Just one night of watching the calculated chaos from a restaurant balcony, & we were off to quiet Cat Ba Island for Ben’s birthday.

Cat Ba was a great alternative option to Halong Bay.  A guesthouse with clean sheets & a balcony with a view of the harbour ran us a whole $6/ night. On Ben’s birthday we rented some scoots for a tour around the island. What a gorgeous little place.  The “Hospital Cave” made our list of sites to see.  The Vietnamese constructed the interior of the natural cave with concrete rooms for meetings, doctoring, washing, training, & even entertainment, like a full sized cinema room.  Escape routes were designed for each of the 3 floors.  One of which was a narrow 10ft vertical tunnel with a 4ft deep pool to break your fall; Clever.  The local guide of the cave gave me a little lesson on how not to leave my bike when he easily lifted my seat accessing my purse & camera, then turned the handles & steered my bike off.  Hmpf.  At least I didn’t have to learn the hard way.

We had been invited to the birthday party of Rafaela who we met on the journey over to Cat Ba.  Her birthday happened to be the day before Ben’s.  Meeting at Slo Pony, a local bar & adventure centre, we took off on the back of bikes to Slo’s house for casual drinks, chats, & local Vietnamese eats.  Rafaela jammed a mean song by the Cranberries, Zombie!  Amazing!  The honey wine, more like moonshine, had us a little weak in the knees by the end of the evening... weak all over the next morning too!  Wandering around in a zombie-like state, the next day we planned for not much.  That was until we ran into Kate & James, who bent our rubber arms for a night out to celebrate Ben’s “real” birthday.  Glad they did...  Great times; Great people!

Our days on Cat Ba were coming to an end.  Hoi An was next on our list.  The original plan was to rent/ buy a couple of old Minsk’s & cruise down to Saigon, stopping off along the way at various “points of interest”.  However, after speaking with a few people here & there, we decided against it.  Renting may be too expensive, buying would most likely result in breaking down or the possible delay in re-selling, & our inexperience on manual bikes combined with the deadly HWY1 was sure to give us at least a few new scars to compare.  Instead, we chose the safer, cheaper route by bus.

If you need suites, shoes, purses, dresses, coats (I’m using plural on purpose!), go to Hoi An.  Not every other, but every single shoppe was dedicated to outfitting tourists with anything they wanted, and for insanely cheap.  We couldn’t resist.  For myself, a new pair of leather “gladiator” sandals, & for Ben, a fitted button-down shirt.  The rest of our days in Hoi An were spent wandering through the little alley ways lit by iron lamps & on the final day, a few hours on the beach.  Had we known the beach was as nice as it was, I’m sure we would have spent more time there.  But, we had to move further on down the line.

Nha Trang was claimed by a few to be one of Vietnam’s best beaches.  Hardly...  But it was still nice.  With only a few days to spend here, we organized a snorkel trip around some of the outlaying islands.  Again, for a whole $6.  The boat seemed pretty tame, that was until our crew set up their stage & jammed on the boat.  The floating wine bar was soon to follow.  Only one or two small glasses of wine were accepted of the many offered, mainly because I saw from the corner of my eye that the bartender had fallen into the sea, open bottle in hand.  I’m sure those who didn’t catch the bottle going in half empty & coming up full, had a few issues the following days.

Enter Mui Ne...  Now this was a beach!  Waves were coming in at 8-9 feet at times.  Ben & I, being young and all, decided to try our body surfing talents.  Yeesh...  8FT is awful high when you’re in water to your chest.  A few good turns being lifted by the water giants, & one good bail where I did the “scorpion” as Ben calls it (where the wave takes your legs & bends them back allowing your heels to smack the back of your head, just like a scorpion’s attack), had me retiring my career with a whole 50 minutes of experience. 

The main attraction at Mui Ne, are the two mass dunes, one white, the other red.  We had reconnected with Torsten, a German guy we briefly met in Cat Ba, & Ash, an Englishman we met just after the bus arrived in Mui Ne.  The four of us rented bikes & rode off to the white for the early afternoon, making it back to the red sands for sunset when they would really show their colour.  Other than the sand blasting & clouds dimming our sunset, the trip was a great one!

Off to Saigon.  Not much happened here...  But our guesthouse owner was interesting.  We have dubbed her Vietnam Grandma!  The cutest lady you’ve ever seen!  She would constantly be holding your hand, or rubbing your arm.  Sometimes, she would hold my hand in hers, then grab Ben’s, putting our hands in each other’s & squeezing with the biggest grin.  She loved love. 

The main purpose was to visit the War Museum.   I won’t go too into detail, as much of the things we saw were horrific & emotionally draining.  I will not be able to tell you in words what it was like to see the photographs & torture weapons displayed.  One thing I will touch on is Agent Orange.  Before coming to Saigon, I had no idea what this chemical was.  All throughout Vietnam are deformed beggars.  Some have twisted limbs, some none at all, & others skin appears to be melting off the bone.  Agent Orange, used widely during the Vietnam War, has damned the lives of almost any children & grandchildren of the men & women sprayed.  It causes the most terrible birth defects...  Siamese twins, eyeless & limbless children, swollen heads & eyes... the list goes on.  Denying the street people the food or money they are begging for is hard enough, but now knowing why they are disfigured makes turning away heart breaking.  At first, you think it is possible to help by giving money or water, but you are easily defeated by the number of people, that you have to find other ways to help. 

I’m not sure why each of our last journal entries, have such sad conclusions...  I’m sorry, but the one on Cambodia probably will too.  On a positive note, even with all the terrible things that the S.E. Asian people have been through, they are some of the kindest we’ve met.

MUCH LOVE, 

B&B VONDUBYA

Tags: beaches

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.