Existing Member?

Our Adventure!

Laos - Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng, Vientiane, Phonsavan

LAOS | Friday, 10 December 2010 | Views [3054]

Laos...

We left off at Chiang Mai, leaving for Luang Prabang.  This time around, we opted for the easy route with our hostel; A few extra dollars in exchange for a little less hassle.  Tourists charged by “fake” border crossings for their visa were too common a storey.   Everything unknown seems scary in the moment, but when we look back, the border crossing was easy as pie.  There were 2 options, the more scenic route, a 3 day trip including 2 river boats plus the 2 very necessary Thai massages to get the feeling back in your ‘seat’, or the straight shot to the city by bus.  We chose the quick & painless.  Our trip to the border included a stop off at the White Temple (or something close to that), a sparkling spectacle, plopped in the middle of nowhere.  Gnarly Gargoyles perched at the entrance & distraught masks hanging from the trees out front added to its wonder.  Even the “No Smoking” signs & road beacons were artistic sculptures of death.  When you enter the temple, on either side are hands from Hell, hoisting up human skulls.  Two beefy protectors guard the passage to the Temple, but once inside, everything is tranquil & beautiful.  Number 1 Temple to date.

 

Luang Prabang is a smaller French influenced city with not much to see other than markets (which are still cool).  Our first priority was to sort our Vietnamese visas, which was a cake walk.   Again, horror stories of how long they take, or that they are fly-in only, difficult border crossings, etc.  After a few circles, we spotted the Embassy & with fingers crossed, filled out our forms, handing them in with exaggerated Canadian smiles.  Taking it, without a glance, the guard says, “$40 for Tuesday, $50 for Monday, $60 for 5 minutes.”

Not wanting to stay in Luang Prabang longer than we needed to, we chose the highest price.  No jokes, he actually drove us to the bank & when we got back, our visas were stamped.

We exhaled & hooked up with new found friends, Dave & Tanwen, for a trip to the turquoise falls.  Up early hoping to beat the crowds, we jumped into the back of a truck & went winding through country roads.  But not before our driver busted some major “loser laps” around town desperate to hook another few foreigners.

Arriving just when the sun was beginning to heat the day, we hiked to the top of the falls (well, we tried) for a view of the valley.  Gorgeous!  And, a nice little work out to make the chilly swimming holes that much better.  The swimming hole was youth juice, complete with a rope swing & falls to jump from!  The Chinese men standing on the side creeping was a bit uncomfortable, but other than that, the day was bliss.

That evening, we split up with our UK friends for some shopping & dining out at the local market, which was tucked away down a grim alley.  I said I would try to become a veggie (China turned me onto the idea), & did quite well, but the smell of chicken breast roasting over hot coals kyboshed that idea.  I hadn’t found white meat in soooo long.  It was like... How does Turbine Irvine put it? “Tiny little angels dancing on your palette”.   That together with sticky rice made for a glorious meal out with my man.  The simple things...

I won’t even go into our accommodation here... Actually, yes I will.  Budget sometimes gives you what you pay for.  This was one of those times.  At first glance (18Hrs travelling, 6AM arrival, swollen feet...  so a pretty blurry glance) the place looked half decent.  SOLD!  A wee nap later, it looked a bit different... Well, a bit like hell really.  The walls didn’t connect to the ceiling, interior or exterior, there was a faint highway of ants marching through our bathroom, the shared bathroom was beside our room (walls here also didn’t reach the ceiling), tacky posters were covering gaping holes in our tacky wallpaper, our sheets looked ancient, & there was a faint smell death.  But other than that, it was decent.

It was time to move on.  Vang Vieng was next on our list.  Just 3 years ago, I had visited the town with Spills & Janer, two of my Besties.  We had rented, for $1 each, a bamboo hut down by the river with its own balcony & private bath.  Every night, we’d sit watching the sun sink behind the mountains, glass of red in hand.  The main attraction in town is the river running through.  Bamboo bars have been set up along the banks & for a few dollars tourists are driven a few km out of town with inner-tubes as their means to get home. 

 

Vang Vieng has changed.  It’s still a bit of the same thing, but just far bigger, pricier & touristy.  The bus station had moved to a spot just far enough out of town that a 10,000KIP tuk-tuk is necessary to get to the town’s centre.  Its 2 small dusty roads have morphed into paved drags lined with vendors & shoppes selling the exact same things the next are.  Instead of the chilled out hippies dragging their feet through town, it’s filled with loud mouthed kids who think their same-old jokes are just “hil-air!”  I was a bit sad that I couldn’t re-live the days down by the river with Ben.  Ah well, everything good must come to an end.  But she still had a few years left in ‘er.

Tanwen, Dave, Ben & I fixed ourselves up with rooms overlooking the creek flowing around the small island & the mountains for the back drop, still not bad for $7.  We joined in with the crowd & were up early (ish) to beat the rush down the river.  I must admit, it was a blast.  We intended on making the 3 hour trip getting off at our hostel & save on the tuk-tuk back before dark.  But the rope swings, slides, & speakers bouncing with music enticed us.  It was bringing back little memories of the Sheep River, home (minus the bars, rope swings, & loud music... The Fun Police would never allow it).

The river trip had us on a high & afterwards decided to hit up Party Island with all the youngsters, because we’re hip & with it!  An hour later... 

Next day was shamefully spent vegging out in front of Friends & Family Guy from the many restaurants offering the laid back scene.  I know, I know, how lame.  I will say, however, that we limited ourselves to 2 hours of T.V. time.

With the intent of getting myself one of those beach bodies, I’ve attempted to cut out the white devil... bread.  You may think this is easy, especially in an Asian country full of rice.  Well you’re dead wrong!  Not sure if you realize, I didn’t, that the French have left an unmistakable mark on Laos... Baguettes & croissants!  I cannot resist these lovely things.  And so, I’ve given up on giving up bread.

 

Vientiane arrival...  Marching our sorry butts to the fourth floor, our bags dropped, then our jaws.  Our $10/ night guest room was a glorified prison cell.  Of all the places, Ben & I have wound up in yet another dive.  I cried a little inside, I really did.  After a quick chat to Tanwen & Dave about their cheaper, cleaner place, we put on our “we’re really sorry” faces & explained to the ‘Three Seasons’ reception that “it turns out our brother had already booked us into another hotel” and that “we’re so sorry & feel just terrible”.  Grandma Mary, I’m sorry, but if you saw this place, you’d understand that this little white lie was a must.

Vientiane was visually a cool city, European & Asian cultures mixed beautifully in architecture & food.  Our main objective was to sort out our Thai visas as we plan to stay for longer than the automatic 15 day over-land visas provided when we are there in January.  These were also a breeze.  A few snapshots at the local portrait studio, short hand paperwork, & next day pick up, free of charge.  Again, we arrived on a Friday, but this time did not have a “5-minute” option, so had to lay low for the weekend.  There is not much to do, but we found a few cheap day trips.  First was a stop off at the local Museum.  It’s an old run down, off-white Government building hidden behind unkempt bushes; Easy to miss.  For a dollar, you can walk yourself through the fan cooled building to read up on Laos’s history.  It covers most things from Dinosaur findings, the French rule, & the ‘Secret War’.  Time well spent.

Doing things on your own is usually cheap, which was the case with our trip to Buddha Park.  A few blocks to the local bus station, shake off the tuk-tuk drivers, hop on the over-crowded mini-bus, & trust that the driver will let you know when to get off, if it’s not obvious.  Ben was excited for the park.  He has been collecting images for his upcoming bamboo tattoo in Thailand.  The park is filled with Hindu & Buddhist statues, each with their unique features but similar symbols of enlightenment & sin.  Adding to the whole visual experience were bright coloured monks strolling about, disappearing behind this god, & reappearing from behind that god.  The park is highly recommended.

One thing we didn’t end up seeing, was the Vertical Airstrip.  Laos was given millions of dollars to add an airstrip to the capital city.  Instead, they erected a gorgeous building.

Again, everything good must come to an end... And this was the same for our new foursome.  They think they’ve ridded themselves of us, but we have plans!  See you guys, hopefully sooner rather than later!

 

I had always wanted to see the Plain of Jars.  Not many people know of the jars, so we were hoping not too many people would be there to see them.  Another foreigner was waiting around early morning for the bus to Phonsavan.  Naturally, we locked eyes & took comfort in our common worry of the unknown.   It’s always nice to pool resources.  Instantly we got along with Swiss Sonya.  Kindly she exchanged her seat allowing Ben & I to sit together.  We rolled into town, well, not quite.  The station is again located a few km outside the town centre, requiring additional transport for a small fee.  Unusually, we all decided on a guesthouse rather quickly & found our way to Kong Keo.  With not much sleep, we decided to push forward, get some breakfast down, & bike to the phenomenon.  According to maps, site 1 seemed possible with our mode of transport.  It was straight forward, but the 12KM uphill ride was not the 3KM flat road we were expecting.  The small children waving from their roadside villages made the trip fun. 

The Jars are a wonder.  Hundreds of large pots believed to be crafted from stone, mud, & animal hide, scatter the hillside.  Small red & white plaques line the pathways through the site indicating which areas have been cleared of UXO (Unexploded Ordinates).  Every so often, a huge hole is blown out of the earth from a bomb dropped during the ‘Secret War’.   The jars are said to have been constructed for a number of reasons, each very different from one another.  Some locals believe they are urns for the dead, while others think they were simply used to store food or whiskey.  Who knows, but they are a site to see. 

With time left in the day, we stopped in at MAG to view a film on the affects of the ‘Secret War’.  For those of you who do not know, Laos is THE most bombed country in the world.  More explosives were dropped on this small country between 1964 and 1973 than Japan & Germany during WWII, combined.  The United States air bombed Laos because Vietnam was supplying their army via the Ho Chi Minh Trail (running along the border), secondly they were trying to halt the Communist movement in Laos (the rebels were not affected by the bombs), & lastly, once the VN war ended, rather than spend the money to safely land & disarm a loaded aircraft, the pilots were ordered to drop them over Laos.  Over 500 million bombing missions were carried out, totalling over 200 million tonnes dropped on the country, 2 tonnes per person, $2M USD per day.  The most unfortunate part is that even after the war was uncovered & stopped, thousands of Laos are still dying each year.  Why?  30% of the bombs dropped did not detonate.  They are scattered throughout rice fields, under schools, behind homes.  It is inevitable that the villagers will come in deadly contact with one while clearing their fields.  Children are amoung the highest casualties.  They see a little yellow ball (Cluster Bombs), or something that resembles the fruit their parents pick, & they pay the ultimate price when they pick it up, kick starting the internal fuse, sending shrapnel through every part of the body.  New development is rare because of what might be uncovered.  MAG has trained locals as bomb specialists.  They spend countless hours with steady hands & light movements to safely remove these threats.  Ben & I highly recommend visiting their website to learn a more about Laos’ past & how organizations like MAG are helping bring the country back to its feet.

MAG.ORG.UK

 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.