Existing Member?

Wanderings and Misadventures of The Toes Ramblings of a fledgling traveler...

Hali-Hali-Halifax!

CANADA | Thursday, 2 December 2010 | Views [453]

I'm in Halifax and have been for a good 2.5 weeks. I'm flying back to Ottawa tomorrow. Yes, yes, I should have posted sooner. The main purpose of this trip is to visit my good friend Pat. I did the Vancouver trip earlier to visit Jen so now it's Pat's turn.


In reality I haven't done all that much. I'll keep this brief since the details are a little dry. Stick to the highlights:

I've met many of Pat's friends over many a beer. They're great people and that makes me happy. A person of special note is his girlfriend; one of those genuinely sweet and lovely people. She'll be teaching English in Burma soon... possibly a new location to add to my itinerary? Another nice surprise was learning my cousin is living here now. We had a very nice day together and it was refreshing to share it with someone. Doing everything alone gets old quick.

People aside, I have also made friends with two squirrels on separate occasions. They're little curious red ones. I shared my apple with the second and just kinda hung out making my whistles and chirps. When I passed by a second time later on he was sitting in a tree. I whistled and down he came right to my feet. I was out of apples.


There's been pubs, bars, bowling, movies and lots of walking. Point Pleasant Park was fabulous, especially along the rocky coast. I looked for sea glass but found weather beaten chunks of brick wall instead. That satisfied me. I've seen the colourful houses all over the city and Dartmouth across the bay. I've walked along the harbourfront, visiting the small shops and looking at sailboats. Most tourist attractions are closed this time of year.

One attraction that is always open: Pier 21. Kinda cool with all the history in that building. The tour was even guided by a rad old dude who immigrated through that building. Unfortunately I missed the Alexander Keith's tour... that one included beer. Citadel Hill is also worth checking out though, again, most of it was closed. It was pretty trippy to be the only person within sight as I walked around the battlements though.


There's other stuff but I'm keeping this simple. A nice little relaxing trip all for me. Today I'm filling in the gaps. Have to eat some East-coast seafood before I take off! And not just sushi. My laundry is done and it's time to get this day going!

 

About kitschey

Yongmeori Coast, Jeju Island

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.