Existing Member?

Wanderings and Misadventures of The Toes Ramblings of a fledgling traveler...

Crankies...

SOUTH KOREA | Friday, 23 April 2010 | Views [598]

Well, I have spent one day in Busan and frankly I'm just not feeling it. In town the people have been very rude and pushy for the most-part. And I mean pushy in a litteral sense. Not only do people just cut in front of you if you aren't an inch away from your goal but the old ladies are the worst! A little old lady shoved me from behind to get to a train. Full out arm into my back push. I was a little put off by that. I also got a nasty look from a man who walked into my elbow. I was getting my wallet out of my bag to pay for a subway ticket; think of how little my elbow would have protruded to perform that task. Right after I turned from the machine and narrowly avoided a teenager running past between me and the machine! Really?

So that's what it's been like in the city. I went into Gupo market where I think I was tricked into paying twice the price for a pack of bananas. I specifically went there to check out the dog for sale. Not pet dogs, dogs to eat. I found the area and walked on through, staring into those sweet little puppy eyes. They were some sort of smaller dog, looking a bit like akita. I wasn't too put off by the dogs or the skinless carcasses split down the middle on display. I was more discomforted by the looks I was getting from the vendors. Sort of a "we know you're here to stare at our goods and that you disapprove so piss off" kinda look. I don't judge them for eating dogs... it's their culture so who am I to come in and tell them it's wrong.

The good part of my day was a hike from Beomeosa Temple to Geumjeong Fortress. The temple was painted in brilliantly coloured patterns and was very pleasant to walk around. I took a path up boulders and through pine forests to Geumjeong Fortress. It's actually not a fortress but a wall that circles the top of a mountain for several kilometers. Along the way there are four gates: North, South, East, West. I hiked along the wall from North to East and what a friggin' view! Surrounded by other peaks and views of the cities below. The mountain was a wild mix of tall grass, woods and rocky outcrops. The boulders rose up randomly like a giant dropped his collection of pointy rocks while taking a walk.

The people I crossed paths with on the mountain were refreshingly friendly and some even greeted me! I was so releived since I've been having a hell of a time in the city. One man even spoke English and helped direct me to Seokbulsa Temple from the South Gate.

Seokbulsa was really neat. I hiked up a steep road as the rain returned. About halfway up I heard some thunder but decided I had come that far and should press on. Once I reached the temple the rain was really coming down and lightning made its appearance. I still took some time to admire the temple carved from the living rock wall. Behind some buildings is a small opening with statues carved into the walls on either side, another in the centre ahead and two alcoves to left and right. I entered one alcove to find a small dimly lit shrine. When I came out it was pouring so I figured that was my cue to head "home".

On my way down a car stopped and a man invited me to have a ride into town. I thought for only a moment and decided I'd take my chance that they were safe. I had seen them at the temple a few minutes before. Besides, the road was difficult to drive so I could make an escape if things got weird. They were cool and dropped me off at a subway station, so it's all good.

I was planning to visit a spa near the sea tonight. There's a balcony you can stand on in the nude and stare out across the ocean. Sounds pretty cool but I should probably do some research instead. I don't know where I should go next but I do know I'm leaving tomorrow. Maybe I'll like the next place and its people a little better. I could just be cranky right now and unwilling to give this place a chance. Oh well, moving on!

Colourful lanterns leading to Beomeosa Temple

Colourful lanterns leading to Beomeosa Temple

Tags: busan

About kitschey

Yongmeori Coast, Jeju Island

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.