Existing Member?

When I grow up I want to be a world traveller. am going to costa rica. not for any reason in particular, but just because i can. to have an awesome time, in one of the world's most beautiful countries. surfing, learning spanish, exploring rainforests, friendly encounters... pura vida! or i hope...

hot damn, that was one solid ride!

COSTA RICA | Sunday, 13 April 2008 | Views [838] | Comments [3]

again, two ugly feet. but the point is that wonderful cuppa in between

again, two ugly feet. but the point is that wonderful cuppa in between

and i dedicate the title of my new story to intercultura friends lisa and jessy...u guys are really something else!

have not had time nor the chance to write something since what feels like forever. i can now proudly call myself 'outback cat' (stop laughing there behind ur lil' laptop, i went to look for my wild side ;), having been to the less travelled region of costa rica.

first met up w/ make a wish bud pat to travel to the lonely part of the planet. it was freakin´ A....with some bumps in the road as can be expected. first got on a 4 hour bus to puerto viejo de sarapiqui...wow: saw some seriously beautiful costa rica (rainforest, palmtrees, waterfalls) and then some puking people on the bus. u´d think the costaricense could handle the bumpy rides, but no. consider not sitting to that not so fit local i would recommend! got out at puerto viejo and were welcomed by the soccer field plus players and supporters. apparently they´d not often seen tourists...or we just looked tha shit. the latter option seems to be the more interesting one, obviously. so had this total rip-off situation at the hotel, lonely mundo was completely wrong and we couldn´t make a reservation for this deserted hotel thing (duhhhh). but had amazing coffee for breakfast and visited a guide (alex martinez from posada andrea cristina hotel - amazing site) who gave us some info (FINALLY), coffee and showed off his tucan and parrot.

finally got on a boat to trinidad (near the nicaraguan border). well...that was a different experience. boat was as stable as they get here, but the captain had too much fun trying to outspeed this other boat. ha! (i was scared shitless at the time). but we arrived, after 2 hours of boating, safely in our little paraíso: trinidad lodge! were welcomed by the abuela w/ lovely coffee in her 'made in china' cups: absolutely amazing and gave us a moment to take in the beauty of our home for the next couple of days. our cabiñas were sick: made out of bamboo, every now and then forgetting a stick or two (imagine that this is a place where there´s lots and lots of animals). it was a ghetto but in a 'i'm-gonna-go-on-my-honeymoon' kinda way. after a lovely dinner we got to experience some real 'you tarzan, me jane' flava. first massive bug evacuation from my mosquito net (got the other tourist out of his cabiña to do that). then, at 4 a.m. we got woken by this ridiculous hawling by a yet unknown species. if i could have jumped into the bed of my fellow traveller, i would def have done so! o my word. in the morning, however, we found out that what gave us this huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fright was a ridiculously small hawler monkey, which had decided to be on our roof. joy! anyways, enjoyed a bit of a hike with a real tarzan next morning, saw the bugger monkeys plus a toothbrush hanging from a tree. serious business in trinidad...ok. there was this part where we saw what the unrest in this border area had left behind: burned down church, area where a school had been. it must have been quite scary to the costa rican inhabitants of this area to have to deal with this violence when you don´t have a prompt reaction from your own non-existent defence force. but all seems well now...on the surface at least. for the rest of the day talked spanish with the little girl from the hotel, heidy. seriously cute. actually went on an EGGHUNT (my easter wish came true after all) and saw their fruit trees and veggies. so cute! she must be pretty bored out there, and doesn´t quite seem up to the same educational level (but what can u expect) as her age group. we had a serious session of mirror writing, where she thought it was the correct way of writing! this serious session was followed by one where we mismatched animal parts. it was a wicked way to spend the last day in trinidad! 

had good last night and then left the next day by private speedboat...accompanied by some terrential downpoors. in a boat w/out a roof that slightly sucks....but...i guess we saw a big croc!? 

Comments

1

Caat,

eindelijke je site gevonden! Heb inmiddels al je verhalen gelezen ( ja ik loop lekker te soggen, heb morgen tentamen;-()
Mooie verhalen, volgens mij vermaak je je echt prima daar! Is roos inmiddels al bij je?
Veel plezier samen en ik wacht op je volgende bericht!

Liefs xx Moes

  Marleen Apr 13, 2008 3:57 PM

2

dude. you amaze me. nathalie and i are dying reading this in samara! we miss you!

lata,
lisa

  Lisa Apr 14, 2008 12:33 PM

3

right before i left for asia, i wondered when you were going to post again. now i'm just getting caught up on emails and stuff so am enjoying catching up on your blog. when do you go home? i need to mail you a letter etc but obviously haven't been writing a lot of letters lately. i miss you!

  olivia Apr 19, 2008 11:58 PM

About kitcat

fruit salad w/ more icecream than fruit didn't rock as much...

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.