Existing Member?

Kirsty's Travel Blog

Out of my head and into the air

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 7 January 2013 | Views [482]

These things are all very well on paper aren’t they? But it doesn’t matter how many travel guides you read, how much research and planning you do, how much you imagine the adventure, it is all just grand intentions until you actually step on the plane.

Physically and logically, that step through the departure gate is so easy – but emotionally, spiritually there is something so unnatural about leaving home. Especially when home has everything you need & there is no other reason to leave than a sense of adventure. I’ll admit to an almost tear saying good bye to Mum & Dad (I strictly forbade crying at the gate ‘cause I knew if Mum started I would too!). And I did well-up a bit walking to the boarding gate; the view all along the window was looking out across the Manukau harbour to the Awhitu Peninsular – home; beautiful. I love my family, my friends, my job, my community, my New Zealand.

“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard” – Winnie the Pooh

If we never left home, how would be know how blessed we are to have what we have?

But now it is time to look forward. Siting in transit in Sydney airport I’m as close and as far away from home as I will be all year. I’m so looking forward to what this year will bring. My grand intentions and my faith will be put into action – one baby step at a time I venture out of my comfort zone. And I will look forward to returning to New Zealand with a wealth of experience and a deeper appreciation for all that I love about home.

Tags: home, leaving, transit

 

About kirsty_nz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.