Existing Member?

Emily and Kirk Adventures

Koh Lanta, Thailand

THAILAND | Wednesday, 2 November 2016 | Views [570]

We traveled from Koh Phi Phi on the ferry in very rough seas – so rough in fact that every person on the ferry was given a plastic bag in case we needed to barf up our breakfast.  Luckily, Kirk and I had taken Dramamine in anticipation, but not everyone on the boat was as lucky. 

Koh Lanta is quite laid-back in comparison to Koh Phi Phi.  There are plenty of snorkeling trips, jungle treks and other adventure tours available, but we preferred to take it easy instead.  We stayed at the Lanta Nice Beach Resort for a few days, and it was good, but we wanted to move to a cheaper hotel.  We found Lanta Nature Beach Resort, which was only $21.  Please keep in mind that the word “resort” may be a bit misleading.  If you are expecting a massive, new resort complex with water slides and a swim-up bar, you will be disappointed.  Instead, a “resort” usually consists of a few bungalows, sometimes surrounding a pool or a restaurant.  Both hotels were on Klong Nin Beach, and both were good, but we preferred the room, the pool, and the price at Lanta Nature Beach Resort. 

www.lantanaturebeachresort.com 

 

We spent our days exploring the island on foot and we found Horizon Bar on Klong Nin Beach.  We sat down at the bar, with two other people.  The gentleman was a bald white guy, about 60 years of age.  He introduced himself as “Kirk” and told us he was from Michigan.  At this point, Kirk and I looked at each other like “is this for real?”  There’s really another bald guy named Kirk from Michigan on this island, sitting right next to us?!  We all had a good laugh about the coincidence and we spent the next few days getting to know “Other Kirk” and his daughter Kelly.  In addition, we met two lovely ladies named Crystal and Anna, and were glad to spend time with them too.  Meeting new friends is one of our favorite parts of traveling.  It’s fun to hear about their travels and share tips about places we’ve been. 

Horizon Bar became our meeting point and we also got to know the owner, Pat, who shared his harrowing story of the devastating tsunami on Boxing Day in 2004.  We were humbled to hear how he ran for his life and was able to save a little girl who had gotten separated from her parents in the confusion.  The family was from Germany and they stay in touch to this day.  Pat and a group of about 200 other people survived in the jungle for days, waiting for the water to subside.  Once it did, they came down from the hills and started rebuilding their lives.  It was a tragic story with a happy ending that I will always remember.  And of course, I can’t forget to mention Jod, the amazing bar tender, who can make a mean Mojito, but can also twirl a fiery baton like a pro.  If you find yourself on Koh Lanta, please go to the Horizon bar.  You won’t be sorry.  www.Lantahorizon.com  

One very rainy day, we ventured over to Old Town, which is a quaint place to have lunch, shop for souvenirs, and visit one of the many local markets that Koh Lanta has to offer.  These markets are full of yummy treats, clothing, shoes, household necessities, and fresh meat and produce.  The market rotates all over the island throughout the week (sometimes during the day, and sometimes at night) and it is definitely worth your time.

No trip to Koh Lanta would be complete without a Happy Shake, from the Mushroom Bar.  Many bars throughout the island advertise these shakes, but depending on the mushroom supply, you may not be able to find them at every bar.  Mushroom Bar will always have them.  Pro tip:  Get your shake to-go and enjoy it on your favorite beach spot, during sunset. 

While we were on Koh Lanta, we met one more new friend, who showed up at the pool and quickly found her way into our room for the duration of our stay.  What can I say?  I’m a sucker for cats.  We named her Pit Bull, because we had been listening to Pit Bull at the pool all day.  When we left, we said goodbye and hoped she would find another sucker family soon. 

Tags: #kirmily, #kohlanta

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.