Existing Member?

DreamOn

Lesham, Sichuan

CHINA | Thursday, 19 April 2007 | Views [428] | Comments [2]

I packed lightly for a few days excursion during which I intended to visit the Buddha in Lesham and climb a holy mountain aka Emei Shan before returning to Chengdu.

Lesham was thronging with Chinese tourists, the queue down the cliff from his head to his feet via the Staircase of Nine Turns was long and it was baking hot. 

The Buddha is very old and huge.

Ad libbing from my guide book: It is 71m high, it's ears are 7m long, his eyes are 10m wide and apparently 6 people can stand on his big toenail. It is the largest in the world and it's carved out of a rock face. 

Why was it created? Well again from the book: the waters were treacherous for shipping and in 713 AD a monk came up with the idea of carving a buddha into the rock face and filling the shoals with the debris generated. The monk, Haitong actually blinded himself trying to convince the government to hand over the necessary funds. The project was eventually given the go ahead and was completed in 803 AD.

Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to take a ferry to view it, it providing the best view point.

Fortunately I met a couple of Israelis that I'd exchanged pleasantries with a few days earlier in Chengdu. They were planning on going to Emei Shan and I asked if I could join them.

OK I can't drag this out anymore ;-)

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Hi Kirendip

Glad to hear your still having fun.

Had a bit of an adventure myself this last week by been asked to work down in head office in Leicester at 4pm last Friday. I wasn't amused as I had booked Wed - Friday of this week off work to attend an interview in Aberdeen at the council on the Wed. Needless to say British Rail came to the rescue with an over night sleeper train from Coventry to Aberdeen and a day time / evening return journey yesterday. I should find out the by the end of this week into next week if I have the post or not.

Otherwise I am definitely working in the Leicester office again next week and possiably for the forseeable future if the Glasgow office are happy to release me down to Leicester. I cann't see why not as I have only had work about 50% of the time I have worked in the Glasgow office which isn't good for a new job of 12 -13 weeks duration to date. I know its me moving again!!!! Great thing was this week in Leicester / Coventry I got to met Sue from Coventry again who I haven't seen for 6 - 7 years.

Take Care and have fun. I promise I will still be in the UK on your return as my moving hasn't got that bad yet!! Or has it?

Rachel

  Rachel May 4, 2007 6:57 AM

2

Hi Rache,<br><br>I've got my fingers crossed for you. I know you enjoyed working for the Aberdeenshire council and it would be perfect from the view point of your house. <br><br>I'm planning on visiting Leicester when I get back to see my sis and go wedding shopping in preperation for Harpy's big day if you're around it would be great to meet up. <br><br>Don't worry you've got a way to go before you catch up with me in regards to movement but I must say you are catching up to me at the speed of lightning :-)

  kirank May 4, 2007 11:47 PM

About kirank


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.